Steam engine classification lights

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PeterCraymer

Steam engine classification lights

Post by PeterCraymer »

I would like to add classification lights to my 10-wheeler. I am trying to find the balance between victorian and modern style. I am not convinced which way to go.
I know of Cannonball and Flashers R Us sell the 4 lens Pyle National type.
Dave Mattox makes kerosene type and kerosene converted to electric (without chimneys but retain cylindrical body - 2 lenses).
I have seen a number of engines with 2 lens Pyle National type, but dont know where to find them.

What other suppliers are out there making them in any style? kits or RTR?

Thanks,
Peter
Pontiacguy1

Re: Steam engine classification lights

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

FAMC (Franklin Automatic Machine Co.) makes caboose lights, tender marker lights, and a couple of different styles of classification lights. The guy's name is Joe Ed Gaddes. His stuff is top-notch. I've got a set of his classification lights on my locomotive. They even come with brackets, although where I wanted to mount my lights, I had to fabricate my own brackets. Joe Ed is a Charter memeber of the Mid-South Live Steamers, and is located in Franklin, Tennessee. (615) 371-0697
Andy Rafferty

Post by Andy Rafferty »

Ditto. FAMC gets my vote.
110HLW

Post by 110HLW »

Pontiacguy1 -- how about a photo of your locomotive with the classification lights?

Thanks
Corey
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

the Franklin automated machine company classification lamps and tender markers are on my lakawana Hudson here is a picture of them mounted to the front of the engine with the engine in the trailer you can see more detailed photographs of them under the post Lackawanna Hudson
Attachments
IMG_20141001_200411~2_2.jpg
765nkp

Post by 765nkp »

Wow, looks awesome Mike.

Corey the markers on Zach's Mikado are from Joe Ed. They are really nice. I also bought a set to put on our Berkshire and my 2-6-6-2.

Tim
kenrinc

Post by kenrinc »

I made the markers for my Kozo A3. Admittedly, these are early turn of the century, Pennsy practice but gives you an idea of what can be done with a few hours in the shop. I used the drawings in Joe Nelson's book as well as some original drawings as a "rough" reference. They are turned from solid.

Ken-
MARKERS.JPG
John_S

Post by John_S »

Pontiacguy1 wrote:FAMC... Joe Ed is a Charter memeber of the Mid-South Live Steamers, and is located in Franklin, Tennessee. (615) 371-0697
I bought a pair of lamps from him at the MSLS spring meet this year and put them on my mogul. They are top-notch quality and work great. They even rotate, with detents, 180deg so you can swap from clear to green without taking anything apart. I too did not use his brackets (nothing wrong with them) because my lamps are mounted to the smokebox itself and not the door.

Not done with the wiring yet... still trying to finish new siderods, then I'll get back to these:
ClassLights.jpg
Last edited by John_S on Thu Oct 02, 2014 3:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Pictures of the lamps on my locomotive.
marker lights on 989
marker lights on 989
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Hi Peter,
I am sure you have already seen want i am running.
but here it is again 8)
1907981_10152416559563185_6196600336432382776_n.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

I do not remember who makes the lanterns Cannonball sells but I bought a pair of their CNC lamps a few years ago.

They bolt on with a hollow 1/4-20 bolt. Mounted them on my waycar (caboose). It subsequently sustained a stiff-arm to prevent it from drilling Harry Bean's 3420 and landed on its side, and the marker.

Other than some paint the lamp sustained no damage.

I was relieved, and impressed, in that order.

BryteRails sells lamps also:
http://www.bryterails.com/index.htm?p=p107

The 1-1/2" locomotive markers electrified well resemble the marker lamps on many Santa Fe steam engines.
They were round, boxy looking things with two lenses, and a round fixture on the rear facing the cab to hold spare lenses.

Here is the prototype on ATSF 940 in Bartlesville:
lamp.JPG
Note the bracket, which also had a provision for a flag.

Brian
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Here's a shot of the Adlake 187 1/2 class lamp and one of the Handlan. If anyone is inclined to make his own, send me a PM as I've got more pix and measurements. The lens is 5 3/8 diameter. Here are some links:

http://www.railroadiana.org/lamps/pgLamps.php

http://s1189.photobucket.com/user/Wayba ... a.jpg.html

Here's the Adlake catalog from 1907: http://www.railroadiana.org/library/pgC ... Engine.php

Adams and Westlake still makes new markers (in Massachusetts, its pronounced "mahkahs."): http://adlake.com/online-store.html
Attachments
Marker0001.JPG
Marker0007.JPG
Marker0009.JPG
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.