Steam railroading to return to Alaska!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: Steam railroading to return to Alaska!

Post by Dick_Morris »

The latest status report is posted at https://www.alaskarails.org/pix/former- ... index.html.

Volunteering isn't always a walk in the park. The clear skies can be deceptive. Low temperatures at the Engine House for the last couple of weeks of November varied between 0 to -20f. The filled parking lot proves that the 557 volunteers are dedicated - and tough! This is a lot better than the first winter before our landlord, the Alaska Railroad Corporation, took pity on us and installed heat.

Our 2021 fundraising drive has been kicked off with a dollar-for-dollar challenge to match the first $50,000 in contributions (included in the challenge is $5,000 from YT). Details are in the status report.
Attachments
cobalt-blue-sky reduced.jpg
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

To appreciate the hundreds of hours spent to return the badly out of tram front truck with scored journals to better than factory specifications see the most recent status report at https://www.alaskarails.org/pix/former- ... index.html
Attachments
two-wheels-out-front reduced.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Remarkable to see the progress. And #557 will be an essentially new steam locomotive when restoration is completed!
Lookin forward to seeing continued progress.
RussN
Patio

Post by Patio »

I have been following the project. I am hoping to be able to visit in the summer of 2022. There is a plan, we will have to see if it all comes together. :)
Live for the moment!
Prepare for tomorrow!
Forgive the past!
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I am hoping to be able to visit in the summer of 2022.
We will be glad to give you a tour. It's best to check ahead to make sure we have some available to show you around.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Over eight years after the drivers were removed and sent to Tennessee to have the tires, journals, and crankpins machined, as of 2:02 AST today, Alaska Railroad #557 is back on her wheels! Discovered and corrected during the wheel overhaul was a difference by 1/4" in the OD of one set of drive wheels and some minor quartering problems. While the drivers were out, new wedges were cast and machined, shoes where machined, all pins and bushings in the suspension and brake rigging were replaced, and axle boxes were machined with new brasses in two of them. on the lead truck the wheels and journals were machined, we poured and machined new Babbitt bearings, and replaced all the pins, bushings, and all eight springs. Four main suspension leaf springs and four coil springs were also replaced. This is the first photo, more will be posted at Facebook "557 Restoration Company."
Attachments
landed reduced.jpg
NP317

Post by NP317 »

YEA!!! Probably better than new now.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Only 1/4"?

Would have worked itself out over time :mrgreen:
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
partime

Post by partime »

Dick,
You and your group have sure done an excellent job of the rebuilding and refurbishing of that locomotive. It's has been interesting and informative to follow along. What a job to tackle and have so close to completion. I am sure you are all excited to be approaching the final stages.
I find that working in 1/8 scale can be daunting at times so can only imagine the challenges on a full scale loco.
All the best in the months ahead as you close in on completing this fine locomotive!

I too will be in Alaska later this year and do hope to finally see #557 in person.
T.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

Only 1/4"?

Would have worked itself out over time :mrgreen:
The worst part is that that the mismatched wheel set was 1/4" smaller, so the other six wheels had to have an extra 1/4" removed. :cry:

Tennessee Valley Railroad, April 2014. Robert Franzen photo.
Attachments
Robert I Phone 4-14-14 046 reduced.jpg
thunderskunk

Post by thunderskunk »

Sorry if it’s a silly question, but how did it get 1/4” off?
"We'll cross that bridge once we realize nobody ever built one."
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My guess is that driver set might have been a substitute set (from another locomotive being scrapped?) to extend the operating life of the locomotive.
"Close enough" in someone's mind.

I have seen this in other locomotives.
Rayonier #90 2-8-2 on display at Garibaldi, Oregon USA, has a front driver set that is measurably smaller than the other three. It was installed on the locomotive by Rayonier Inc. to replace the badly worn front driver set (logging locomotive) so it could be towed on its own wheels to Oregon. Its diameter was far enough different that the front connecting rods were not installed, and remain that way today. It was never expected to be operated after donation. And it remains that way today.

In the attached picture you can see the thinner tire tread on that #1 driver set.
RussN
Rayonier #90 - 4.jpg