THE BIG HUDSON

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Trainman4602

Re: THE BIG HUDSON

Post by Trainman4602 »

As promised the video of 6088 at train town

ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
hudson

Post by hudson »

There are several videos available on Youtube:

regards,
hudson
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Just to make sure.

Is there anyone on the forum that has a set of those 3" scale Hudson Plans?
Or that knows who has a set of those 3" scale Hudson plans?

I already have; Roger at Train Town, and Sandi Whittum as prospects, so we can skip those names for now.
Are there any others that own a set that you guys know about?

How would a person find out who bought a set from L.E. long ago? Do you think Ms. Lewis kept a record of such things? And, who would now have those records,if they kept them?

Did Seymour get the entire project back from L.E after they lost interest in it, (in the 1970's)? So, Seymour probably had all the drawings, the patterns, everything for it when he passed. The Johnson family might still have all that stuff.

All I really need are about three -four drawings. The drawings for the; axle (main), journal box (main), bearing cover (main journal box), axle carrier tube, a bearing list, (to cross reference with never part numbers). I'm hoping to use Seymour's; axle, journal box, and carrier tube, his whole Neat & Clean design on two new 15" gauge locomotive projects that I'm prepping for, that is what this search is about.

Any leads will be explored and all help is greatly appreciated!
FredR

Post by FredR »

Wow! That's a lot of hillside!
hudson wrote:There are several videos available on Youtube:

regards,
hudson
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Fred
This video that you have posted is after we got it fired up. Sandy’s son was taking video as well so this is the continuation.
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Does anyone know what happened to the patterns for the big Hudson? Any idea if anyone has patterns /castings for drivers, cylinders or any other parts that would be suitable for a 15" Berkshire? Been toying around with the idea of building a 15" Berkshire from Real Trains prints.....any thoughts?
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I know where the patterns are but cannot making any headway trying to aquire them I have been trying for 2 years...I never seem to be able to get a meeting set up with the owner that does not get called off
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

LIALLEGHENY, I'm sure there are a few parts you could use but there are no current plans by anyone to produce any castings. According to Jim Kreider, the smokebox front would work for a Berk. The issue with the cylinders from a Hudson is that the Berk woukd require a longer stroke. One piece journal boxes coukd be shared as well for the drivers but you would be looking at new drive wheels (three patterns) plus new patterns for the outside bearing pilot truck, trailing truck, Buckeye tender trucks and Baker valve gear just for starters.

Not impossible, but a big undertaking nonetheless.

Rob Gardner
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

If anyone get close to any of these and the "big ring binder of original drawings", I really would like to get a copy of the (4 or 5 copies) of the; rollerbearing hounsing tubes, the jounral boxes, and the assorted bearing and seals, parts and pieces. And the list of bearing part numbers, I'm sure they can be cross referenced from only 40 years ago.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

I will look up in my warehouse...I have a couple of the core boxes and I am thinking 1 might be for the axle housings

Mike
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Thank you for the feedback.

So it looks like I would be building the Berkshire from plate and stock.

That leads to the next question....will the drawings and prints from Real Trains have enough dimensions/ info to build without castings or will I need to locate original builders prints as I go?

Thanks,

Nyle
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Nyle:
The subject of building a 3” scale NKP Berkshire has come up in the past. That sure would be nice to see. If someone wanted to go through the time and expense involved in doing that there is already some engineering in place to make the project easier.
Building an accurate 1-1/2” scale NKP Berkshire was something that I originally started with the idea that it was something just for me, my own personal pipe dream, if you will, that at times I was afraid to admit to anyone that I wanted to do it. Building an accurate scale model was the particular branch of this hobby that I personally enjoy. Fortunately it turned out that others were looking for this kind of model and it turned out to be a rather popular model, more so than I would have originally imagined.
Toward that end I soon realized that I was not smart enough to decipher the original General Steel Casting drawings (these drawings were designed to make your head hurt), design an accurate scale-downed part, and design and make the patterns to do the job, all at the same time or on the fly. There are, of course, scale modelers in this hobby that have done just that and I admire them for that ability. I found that I had to split the job into its individual sub-projects; design the part and then design and concentrate only on making the patterns. If I didn’t approach it that way I would probably forget at what point I was at when I got back to it after the responsibilities of life got in the way, you know, work, travel, social life, marriage, etc.
Bottom line is that 1-1/2” scale pattern drawings exist that could be bumped up to 3” scale and used to either make patterns or fabricate parts. The drawings that I generally sell with the 1-1/2’ scale parts are machining drawings and do not show all the casting details necessary to do accurate patterns or parts. I guess it depends on how accurate you want to be.
Jim Kreider