New York Central J1e

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steampipe

Re: New York Central J1e

Post by Steampipe »

Jacks fine J1E want me to share my own pics of my J1e when I aquired in 2004. Built by Louis and Rich Arnold. Its lacking a few of the fine trinkets that Jack so wonderfully making here.
Attachments
Hudson face.jpg
running gear2.jpg
generator.jpg
Profile2.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Jack,

Found some bits and pieces that may help in your decision.

The air hose glad hand is definitely from Howard.

The air line casting at the top is from RRwarehouse. It is an old Railroad Supply part which I cut apart and adjust as needed with 1/8 brass rod to achieve the correct spacing. The 1/8 45 degree angle castings are hard to find so I recycle them as well.

If you need a casting, let me know.

Robert
Attachments
Train Air Signal pieces.jpg
Howard Gorin

Post by Howard Gorin »

The other casting with the straight cock and elbow is a casting that I make.

Regards, HG
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

The cut out cocks were used on the front of a locomotive. The two hoses were the train line and the straight air. Both used when two locomotives were coupled for double heading. This is how they were placed on the K4
Attachments
Picture 170 - Copy.jpg
Picture 078.jpg
ALLWAYS OPERATING MY TRAIN IN A SAFE MANNER USING AUTOMATIC AIR BRAKES
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Thanks for all the info concerning brake hoses and such. The brake hose and signal line on the pilot have been fitted up with two different sizes of hose and glad hand. New York Central had their own way of doing this, photos coming soon. Little bits are being added, here is one. An air pump governor was slammed together and stuck in the steam line. Just another little trinket to add to the clutter.
Attachments
Gov..jpg
Gov.1.jpg
Gov.2.jpg
Gov.3.jpg
Gov.4.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

One more little bit of baloney , just slammed together with some brass and silver solder. This little guy sticks to the trailing truck booster steam line just in front of the cab on the fireman's side. More to come.
Jack
Attachments
BoosterTrinket.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a few more. The Barco low water alarm is missing the whistle flange and the line to the lower boiler connection tee. Currently waiting for the Commonwealth tender truck brake rigging castings. Jim Kreider sent some beautiful castings for the tender brake cylinder that will be machined up next week.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
Hudson.jpg
FireBox.jpg
SmokeboxRt..jpg
TopView.jpg
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

jack just out of curiousity, i see you have the scale whistle on top inside of that shield or trough thing what ever they called it on hudsons. but i don't see where the big whistle is and im assuming like the berkshire's that the only place you could put it was inside the wheel frame?

just curious on that and keep up the good work she is looking great.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi Dan
The J1e will have one of Jim Kreider's berkshire whistles hidden down between the frames.
Jack
DJSteamer3017

Post by DJSteamer3017 »

Jack, this is absolutely stunning work that only a master like can create! When will it's first run going to be? Oh how do the Jim Krieder Berk Whistles look like? Thanks and Keep on Steamin' my Friend.

David
The 1" Scale Junkie ... But steam of all sizes is cool with me!!
"If you can dream it, you can do it" - Walt Disney
Steam Engine Dan

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

JBodenmann wrote:Hi Dan
The J1e will have one of Jim Kreider's berkshire whistles hidden down between the frames.
Jack
sweet keep up the good work.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a few snappies of what's been happenin' with John's Hudson. The first is a look at some little gauges and lamps that the little elves make up here in the shop. The ones on the left are some tiny gearless gauges that Ashcroft makes. They only cost around $9.oo ea. They are just plastic but some little housings with lamps are made up that they will fit into. As the gauges come from the store they have 1/8" male iron pipe thread fittings out the back which are changed to little compression fittings for 1/16" tube. The two gauges mounted to the plate will be for main reservoir pressure and independent brake line pressure. The upper center left lamp is just for general cab lighting and the upper right lamp is for water glass illumination. These lamps are set up to use 1/8" continuous spring for flexible conduit. Once again, if there is sufficient interest I will offer these items for sale. And lastly, on the right is a beautiful All American pressure gauge available from our good friends at American Model Engineering. This gauge has been modified with a little lamp housing stuck to the top.
Attachments
Gauges & Lamps.jpg