New York Central J1e

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: New York Central J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
here is another little trinket for the Hudson, a Barco low water alarm. Unlike the Nathan this alarm used a float to set off the whistle screeching if the water got low. Once again some brass and silver solder, machine away everything that don't look like a low water alarm.. More to come, too much fun!
Jack
Attachments
BarcoLowWaterAlarm1.jpg
BarcoLowWaterAlarm2.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here's a little more progress on the low water alarm. This is a odd little trinket with lots of strange shapes and angles. What other engines besides the New York Central Hudsons used this alarm?
Jack
Attachments
BarcoAlarm10.jpg
Peter Crisler

Post by Peter Crisler »

JBodenmann wrote:Here's a little more progress on the low water alarm. This is a odd little trinket with lots of strange shapes and angles. What other engines besides the New York Central Hudsons used this alarm?
Jack
C&NW 2900's all had Barco low water alarms as well as a lot of their other modern steam locos. The 2900's also used the Barco power reverse.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a couple more photos of the low water alarm. The main body is done and now the masters for the fittings, unions and valves will be made. The fittings will be for 3/32" tube. Some tiny valve handles will be made, probably 1/4" or 5/16" diameter.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
BarcoAlarm10.jpg
BarcoAlarm11.jpg
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Jack, do you keep some kind of catalog of all the parts you offer?
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Good question John, I have been threatening to put together a catalog, and have been asked about it a few times lately. So I guess it's time. To me a catalog is a great responsibility. When you put out a catalog you have an obligation to see that everything in there is available and on the shelf ready to go out the door, not just a wet dream or a wish list. Also a catalog should have at least a drawing of each part with some specifications and dimensions and a description of the material it is made of. To prepare a catalog like this can be quite an undertaking, just a copy machine catalog. So I guess I had better get to work.
For now here are a few pics of the Hudson. One through the cab window showing the screw reverser, fire door, and brake valve. The second is a Moseley dynamo and the turret casing. I always thought that the full width turret casings that the New York Central Hudsons had was a very cool and distinctive New York Central feature. This was a particularly fun little puzzle to make and took a bit of research to puzzle out. The plans and photos that were on hand did not agree with each other so the photos won out. Today the handrails were stuck on utilizing the correct handrail stanchion castings provided by Brad. The last photo shows the sand dome which is being extensively modified. It had a large hideous lip where it meets the boiler and this was removed. The full size dome did not have this lip as it was welded to a plate which was rolled to the contour of the boiler as was done here, although it will be stuck to the plate with JB weld and not actually welded. The fill lid lips were taken off too as they were very poorly done. Brad has some very nice fill lid castings that will be used. The lips that they fit into will be machined up and fitted to the dome. I feel very fortunate to be given the opportunity to build one of these wonderful locomotives as they have always been a favorite of mine. No shortage of things to do!
Jack
Attachments
CabWindow.jpg
Dynamo.jpg
SandDome.jpg
mjahn

Post by mjahn »

Jack, I like your approach to a catalog! :D When a person publishes one they're holding themselves out to a standard and should live up to it.

Thanks for putting these posts up... I would never figure I'd ever be able to detail if I didn't see how you attack things! :)
Mattaniah Jahn

Matt Corps. Railsystems,
operating on the Manatee Central RR
http://www.flickr.com/photos/62441046@N06/sets/
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Hello Jack, I don't know if you ever get tired of hearing it ,and it's too bad if you do :) , but your craftsmanship and ingenuity never cease to amaze me. Absoulutely beautiful work. Thanks for taking the time to share.

Vic
For Duty and Humanity
KidAmato

Post by KidAmato »

Jack,
All of your work is very impressive! You are for sure one of my top idols that I have been learning from. You really have made a difference for me in the hobby! :D. Hope to learn more from you soon & Keep up the amazing work!

Best wishes,
Nico Amato
7-1/2” gauge 5” scale 2-4-4t
7-1/2” gauge Fitchburg Northern
4-3/4” gauge 1.5” scale 0-4-4t
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here are a few photos of progress on the J1e. The smoke box throttle lever, throttle rod bearing and packing support have been fitted up to the smoke box. Waiting for the throttle rod compensating lever and support casting. After they arrive the throttle lever will be cut to length and the throttle rod will be made.
Attachments
ThrottleLever.jpg
Throttle2.jpg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Thu Feb 23, 2012 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Some more recent progress has been made on the Commonwealth truck brake rigging masters. A modern brake head has been made for the brake shoe that was made for the bobber caboose. The bobber has wood brake beams, completely incorrect for something as modern as a New York Central Hudson tender. Also shown, the brake hanger, brake beam, and long equalizer. Still to be made are the, levers, short equalizers, brake beam pull rod mounts, pull rods (2 different lengths), pull rod rollers, dead lever anchors, and brake hanger brackets. Also coming is a Nickel Plate Berkshire tender brake cylinder from Jim Kreider. Commonwealth brake rigging is quite a delightful little puzzle, lots of interesting little bits to make. And it all has to fit together and work!
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
BrakeRigging.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is something that you may find useful. The two steam dome casing castings on hand didn't fit over the actual steam dome so one was made up of sheet metal. Here in photo 1 is a sheet metal cylinder made of #18 Ga. cold rolled and tacked. In photo #2 the cylinder has been fully welded with the TIG welder and buzzed off with the angle die grinder and a #80 grit disc. Photo 3 shows the dome on an aluminum forming die. The sheet metal was massaged over the die with a rawhide mallet.
Attachments
SteamDomeCasing1.jpg
SteamDomeCasing2.jpg
SteamDomeCasing3.jpg