New York Central J1e

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

JBodenmann

Re: New York Central J1e

Post by JBodenmann »

Here the threaded brass bit has been soldered to the reflector and it will now be used to hold it during polishing.
Attachments
Headlamp4.jpg
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Now here we are polishing the reflector. As it was formed on an aluminum die it was quite smooth. It will usually be as smooth as the die. First it was zoomed with #80 grit wet or dry and water. Then progressively finer grits all the way to #1200. Then semi chrome metal polish. Later on it will go out for nickel plating. There will be separate bulbs for the number boards on a separate circuit with the marker lamps. Tomorrow I will show you some little tricks on setting up the number boards. Too much fun!
See ya' later alligator..
Jack
Attachments
Headlamp5.jpg
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

Jack,

All was quiet for a while and then like Santa arriving for Christmas, he drags a booster out of his sack of toys. Another seldom modeled detail that has been overdue in our hobby. Curious minds would like to know what scale it was done in? Sure could use one on a GS-4 sitting in the garage. Trailer truck is just waiting for a booster engine to be installed.

Robert
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

JBodenmann wrote:Hello My Friends
Here are some pictures of a little trinket that I made for John's Hudson. The New York Central J1e had some distinctive features, and one of these features were the large insulated steam lines that ran down the sides of the engine and along the smoke box to the trailing truck booster engine. Toward the end of their lives the insulation slowly disappeared from the engines, and eventually the booster engines themselves. But this model is a representative example of the engines as they were in their prime. So if the insulated steam lines are there, shouldn't they go somewhere? Like to a booster engine? I often speak of a delightful little puzzle, and here we have one. A most delightful little exercise in brass and silver solder. Not a functional booster engine mind you, but it fills the need of some clutter under the cab, and something to occupy the end of the steam lines with their wiggly ball joints and all. As there are multiples of many of the parts only one was made of each and they will be sent of to Brad for duplication. Get R' Done!
Jack
Looks great Jack, I would love to machine up usable "wiggle ball joints" to use on my tender booster truck. that would really complete the look. I just need a drawing on that they work,, of course once i see the drawing, I may think again :shock:
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Jack, as always beautiful work. Robert took the question out of my mouth on the scale of the parts. Thanks for the progress pics. Your work is one of the reasons to look at the board everyday. When there are no new posts from you I feel like the kid from the movie Christmas Story, when he goes to his mail box everyday looking for his Little Orpan Annie seceret decoder ring and says, Skunked again. You have inspired me to get back in the shop, as I have not made any progress since finishing the Okadee Hinges, 3 months ago. Thanks for the posts,

Vic
For Duty and Humanity
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
First off thank you for the very generous compliments. The scale of the booster engine parts is 1-1/2" scale. The ball joints are designed so that they could be made functional but the long curved tubes are solid. Here are some photos and descriptions of the headlamp. Here you can see the reflector and bulb have been fitted up. As mentioned earlier the reflector will go out for nickel plating.
Attachments
Headlamp10.jpg
Last edited by JBodenmann on Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Here is something that you may find useful. The first photo shows and edge view of flashed glass. Flashed glass is clear glass with a thin layer of colored glass fused to it. In this case the colored glass is white. This is great stuff for number boards and is what some railroads used in their full size number boards. It is available at most stained glass shops. In the next photo we can see the cut out piece of flashed glass and the thin piece of clear glass. A transparency was made using the computer and ink jet printer. This will be sandwiched between the flashed glass and clear glass as the transparency is very delicate. Some have suggested plexiglass or lexan for the number boards and headlamp glass but I don't like this material for a number of reasons. Plastic will scratch when cleaned, a problem when dealing with a locomotive as it's going to get dirty. And I like to use the correct material when practical. I think they used glass on the prototype. The next photo shows how the whole mess is held together. Just a little strip of masking tape around the edge. Works fine, lasts for years and years. After painting the headlamp pieces the number board assembly will be stuck into the number board frame with some epoxy glue. Next photo is how the lighting is arranged for the number boards. Little screw in bulbs and bases available at radio shack or our good old friend McMaster. Last photo, it works, well what do you know. Most engines have headlamps and number boards so I hope you can use some of this.
See you in the funny pages..
Jack
Attachments
Headlamp11.jpg
Headlamp12.jpg
Headlamp13.jpg
Headlamp14.jpg
Headlamp15.jpg
Dan Willey

Post by Dan Willey »

Hi Jack,

Very nice... and thanks again for sharing your ideas, photos and workmanship!

Quick question: I was noticing the wiring you have shown in the headlight photo... on your locomotives, do you normally run a ground wire to the headlight (and other electrified items), or do you use the locomotive chassis as ground?

Thanks,
Dan
1/8 scale: Mercer Locomotive K4, Saturated Steam E6
Full scale: Woodings CBL speeder/motorcar NARCOA
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hi Dan
I will usually just use the locomotive for ground. When doing this there are a couple things that are important to do. Obviously you must clean off the paint where the headlamp or other device meets the locomotive. Also recommended is to use some anti corrosive conductive paste, also called "electrical connection corrosion inhibitor" between the parts. In a former life I helped design and build power generators for the film industry. With these generators, dependability was paramount. Most electrical problems were caused by bad grounds, and this stuff worked wonders. It can be bought at most electrical supply houses, and yes our old friend McMaster has it too. Whenever installing a crimp connector on the end of a wire, or connections to a terminal strip, just a small dab of this stuff will do the trick. I keep some in a small syringe for quick and convenient application.
Happy Model Building
Jack
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JBodenmann wrote: A transparency was made using the computer and ink jet printer. This will be sandwiched between the flashed glass and clear glass as the transparency is very delicate.
Being more than just a little "thick" in the head, I'm not sure I understand what you created here, Jack. Is it printed on paper? Can you accomplish the same end with a lazer printer?
Very nice looking assembly!

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Good question Harold, I should have been more specific. I use transparency film, it used to be called clear acetate. Basically clear plastic with a slightly textured side that is meant to be printed on. You can find it at Office Max or Wal Mart. I think a laser printer would work just fine. Adobe Illustrator or any other drawing program can be used to make up the art work. The numbers are left clear and the background is printed black. Here are a few photos of the engine just for fun.
Happy Model Building
Jack
Attachments
J1e1.jpg
J1e2.jpg
Frbx.Bklt..jpg
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

JBodenmann wrote:Good question Harold, I should have been more specific.
Only for those of us that don't "get it"! :-)
I use transparency film, it used to be called clear acetate. Basically clear plastic with a slightly textured side that is meant to be printed on.
Now it makes sense to me. Thanks.

Harold
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.