Henry Hospers Steam Locomotive Models

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

kurtkk

Henry Hospers Steam Locomotive Models

Post by kurtkk »

I have read many posts regarding my grandfather Henry Hospers and his lomotive models. I have always been curious where they all ended up. I believe i am the owner of the missing "Hudson" by the way.
Steve Bratina

Re: Henry Hospers Steam Locomotive Models

Post by Steve Bratina »

While I never met your grandfather, Harold Crouch told me quite a bit about him. I know that his 1" Royal Scot is in the Buffalo area. It was owned by one of the Robinson's at one time. His 1" Princess 4-6-2 frame and tender are with someone in the Montreal club. His Niagara first went to Larry Smith of the Finger Lakes club. Here the crown sheet was toasted and Larry and Harold changed the stays in the firebox. It then went to Ken Hill in Ontario. I was told he took it to the Richmond Hill track and when they placed it on the turntable for the hi line, the table starte to tip. They took it off and he put it back in the car. It was up at the McJannett's ground level 1" track where it had a roaring coke fire and no water in the boiler. I have seen pictures of it sitting in the grass after the fire was dumped. I bought it next and was going to rebuild it. I remember that the old stays from the first repair were still in the boiler rattling around. I had the frame up and running on air and even took it to the FLLS track to show. Later I realized it was way too heavy for any hi line track at our club so I eventually sold it. It was reportedly sold again to a gent in Texas. Before I let it go, I took the front number plate off and gave it to Harold a a keep sake. I have some other pictures but will have to dig them up. Here's one of the Niagara running at Larry Smith's home track in the US.
Attachments
Larry Smith.jpg
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

well I own the 1" scale 4-6-0 Royal Scot the Henry build back around 1965 #6100
This last Fall I rebuild the valve gear/Rods/and put new Pistons & rings in the cylinder Block
I also made new piston valves to get rid of all the blow by ,will test run as soon as spring
arrives .I just may put it up for sale this spring after testing and adjusting.
Joe Tanski
Eden New York
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

Here's one of the Niagara at the Finger Lakes track. Henry Hospers and a very young Dave Sclavi are at the right of the picture.
Attachments
Dave Sclavi and Henry Hospers.jpg
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

When Dave gets back from Cabin Fever, maybe he can tell the story about you grandfather and the light bulb. For now, here is an article from the Model Craftsman Magazine.
Attachments
Henry Hospers.jpg
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

For a few years I owned a 1" Princess that was built by Mr. Hospers. I later sold it to Stuart Spark in NJ, who I believe still owns it. It was a very fast and powerful locomotive.
Keith Taylor,
Steammonkey

Post by Steammonkey »

Hello Keith, my name is Jesse Kohl and earlier this year I purchased the Hospers 1” scale 4.75” gauge 4-cylinder Princess Royal from Stuart. At the time of the sale I did not realize that Mr. Hospers was the builder as Stuart was not certain of its origin. Currently it is in need of some TLC and timing but I have had it under steam several times this summer and it has been a blast to run. I was informed of its history during the New Jersey Live Steamers 50th Anniversary meet this past weekend. I then went online to search for some additional information on Henry Hospers and stumbled onto this thread. It is definitely a warhorse of an engine and I feel lucky to be its caretaker. Stuart explained that he made some modifications to it including the smokebox door. Additionally, it appears to have been green earlier on in its life, however now it is in a red livery with nameplates that bear the name “Mary Queen of Scots”. Could you tell me more about the engine? Did you purchase it from Mr. Hospers? Also, how old is it? Thank you
Attachments
Hospers 1"Scale 4.75" gauge Princess Royal Class Pacific
Hospers 1"Scale 4.75" gauge Princess Royal Class Pacific
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Hi Jesse;
Yes that is the engine I used to own. I bought it from the late Pierre Maurer of the NJLS and it had been through several other owners prior to my buying it. For a number of years nobody could get it to run and it took quite a bit of figuring before we realized that when Mr. Hospers sold the locomotive, he took out the main driving wheel set and reversed it so the inside cylinders were completely out of phase with the outside cylinders! When asked, Mr. Hospers admitted that he had done this as a "test" to the new owner to see if they knew enough about steam to figure out what he had done and fix the problem!
I believe the engine was built in the 1960's. I owned it in the early 1970s.
When I owned the locomotive it was green and had the Mary Queen of Scots plates. I will look in my photos and see if I can dig out an old photo to post here.
I am really happy to know that the engine is back on the rails again! If I ever get back to the NJLS you will have to take me for a ride!
Keith
Last edited by LVRR2095 on Sat Oct 08, 2011 6:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
LVRR2095

Mary Queen of Scots

Post by LVRR2095 »

Mary Queen of Scots in the 1970's
Attachments
scan0009.jpg
Steammonkey

Post by Steammonkey »

Hello Keith, thanks very much for the information and picture, wow!!!! If you make it down, you are more than welcome to take it for a run. I can only imagine what a challenge is is getting 4-cylinders to cooperate..... Two is plenty for a neophyte such as me. Here is a link of the engine in action over this past summer:
steamingdon

Post by steamingdon »

That engine is BUILT like you know what. Once we got some decent coal in her belly and a blower that blows ,off she went for hours.

Don :D :D :D :D :D
steamer
Steammonkey

Post by Steammonkey »

Yes inded! Much thanks for the coal and supercharged blower!