The Home Machinist's 3/4" Scale Locomotive Roster

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

sncf141r

Little Tiches

Post by sncf141r »

Mike;

Keep the parts around; it took me about 25 years to complete my Tich; women, university, fast cars and starting a family were fit in between start and end. I finally finished it when living in The Netherlands.

Here's a picture of my Tich; needs a paint job, but I'm keeping it as it is, because of the memories of making it.

I have also posted a pic of my SNCF141r, made by George Tapping, stored in its "winter case" in our living room.

JohnS.

dorin wrote:Harold,

Thank you for your kind thoughts, but I am ashamed to say, that is pretty much how I acquired the little engine.

-Mike
Attachments
L1001171 - Version 2.jpg
DSCN1853.JPG.jpg
SteveM

Post by SteveM »

Have a partially completed LBSC Virginia.

Will get working on that when my skill level is up to it.

Right now, working on a 1", 4-3/4" gauge j70 tram. Actually just got back to doing some work on that after a long hiatus.

I'm doing a presentation to the cub scouts on "craftsman" and I have a powerpoint presentation with some well known craftsman and some no-so-well known craftsman (Rich Carlstead - I hope you don't mind your Monitor engine being featured).

I'll also be bringing some of the parts I've made for the tram to show the scouts.

Steve
Steve Bratina

George Tapping

Post by Steve Bratina »

John,
George Tapping also built a beautiful 1" scale (ish) NYC Hudson. The engine is in great shape but doesn't stretch her legs much. The guy that owns it has a tough time moving her around due to age and weight.
(his age and it's weight)

Keep Steamin'
Steve
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

I have two 3.5"ga projects waiting in the wings.

The first is an OS Mogul kit (KIT? - oh blasphemy!) which was acquired taken apart and in the proverbial basket but essentially new and all the bits are present. My plan is to rework parts if it, change it's detailing to a somewhat later era, and then probably sell it as US Moguls aren't my cuppa tea but if it runs well it might be worth keeping.

The second is a Stirling 8' Single #1. These always make eye-catching models (when they are well done) but I'm not sure I would like to stick with that engine or not. Singles are never noted for hauling capacity, not that I'm overly concerned about that, so I suppose the question is if I'm going to do a locomotive is that really the one I want to do? I don't know, I'll have to think on that while the castings age-normalize under the workbench.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
rwmorris

Post by rwmorris »

And the next high line "Terror" to come out of my shop will rise up from these parts.... As mentioned in previous posts by me this will be my interpretation of The Van Brocklin "Simplun" 4-4-0.....

Cheers,

Robert M.
Attachments
FutureLoco.jpg
10 Wheeler Rob

WVB 10 Wheeler

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

This is an operating 10 Wheeler I purchased last fall, VanBrocklin design, built by Tony Lemmo in the early 80's.

Rob
Attachments
bvb10.jpg
JohnHudak

Post by JohnHudak »

Although not a steamer, here's a pic and a video of my newest project. It is a 3/4" scale model of an EMD F-3. I'll finish up the wooden master, then cast a negative off of it. From that negative, I'll make some fiberglass body shells.... Still lots of work to do, but I'm having fun doing it... The truck frame patterns are done, and can be seen in a different Chaski post. I'll probably use electric motors/batteries for my set (Santa Fe Warbonnet A-A's) but I don't see why you couldn't use weed whacker motors?
John
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FZC8v0UnWdM
Attachments
f-3.jpg
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

John
That is awsome!
Chris
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
sncf141r

3-1/2" scale diesels

Post by sncf141r »

John;

Neat! I have seen a 3-1/2" gauge "LRC" diesel, and a street car, but not too much non-steam stuff.

So, what are you going to do with the other body shells, and truck frames?

JohnS.
JohnHudak wrote:Although not a steamer, here's a pic and a video of my newest project. It is a 3/4" scale model of an EMD F-3.
Bill Shields

More 3/4" from the Mid-Atlantic area

Post by Bill Shields »

Jim and I, between the 2 of us, have 4 3/4" engines, 3 of which are actually complete and run:

Here's Tom Thumb:

Jim's 62 year-long Atlantic project, about to get it's boiler

My Langworthy Hudson:

Somewhere, but not digital, I have pictures of Jim's Tich, so I will have to call it quits here.

It is very good to see that the world is coming to it's senses and more 3/4" activity is starting to show. Cost probably has a lot to do with it.

I have just finished my first and probably last 1-1/2" engine. After we get Jim's Atlantic finished, I am going to strip my Hudson and probably repaint it (after 27 years it needs it), then get on with something else in 3/4" - probably sing one of John K's fine casting sets from Friend's models as a starter, although I have a set of Raritan castings in my basement begging to be turned into a running model soon.
Harlock

Re: More 3/4" from the Mid-Atlantic area

Post by Harlock »

Bill Shields wrote:Jim and I, between the 2 of us, have 4 3/4" engines, 3 of which are actually complete and run:
The other nice thing about 3.5" gauge, is that us left coasties and new englanders like Bill actually have a chance of running on the same track some day, for the "national Chaski 3/4" scale steam up" :)

Although there are a couple of 7.5" gauge railroads that are exactly 7.5" gauge, with switch frogs designed to accommodate 7.25" gauge equipment. One of them off the top of my head I think is Nick Edwards' Wimberly Blanco and Southern in Texas. They run both, with the 7.25" folks running inside their tapers a little more.
Live Steam Photography and more - gallery.mikemassee.com
Product Development and E-Commerce, Allen Models of Nevada
Bill Shields

World Wide

Post by Bill Shields »

Actually, 3/4" at 3-1/2" is the only gauge used world-wide without contention - except possibly 56-1/2" which appears to be widely used in most of the world, but are a bit large to transport.

1" in Europe is 5", here it's 4-3/4"
1-1/2" is 7-1/4 everywhere in the world but "where it isn't".

I built my 3/4" engine in the Middle East, ran it on a dual-gauge track with 1" British engines at 5" and had no worries. When I left, I didn't bother to bring the track with me.

2-1/2" gauge is also a standard, but there aren't but a handfull of those tracks in the USA, if that many.

It's all a great deal of fun - and affordable in smaller gauges.