The Home Machinist's 3/4" Scale Locomotive Roster

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Joe Tanski

Re: The Home Machinist's 3/4" Scale Locomotive Roster

Post by Joe Tanski »

Alan Tanski running his 3/4" scale PS4 at NJLS 50 th
Built by Joe Tanski 1985 copper boiler ,axle pump,
duples steam pump ,still running strong
Attachments
NJLS201150th 015.jpg
Brian Tusin

Post by Brian Tusin »

Here is a 2-6-0 mogul I bought at the NJLS's 50th meet. From what I can tell it is loosely based on a LBSC Virginia and has Joy valve gear. Does anyone know the history on the engine? It is lettered as Unadilla Valley.

Some of the plumbing on the engine was not the best. The axle pump and injector were not plumbed correctly. With the help of a friend that was changed. A friend of mine has a Virginia that he built an alcohol burner for and I was very impressed how well it worked. He made one for my engine and I had the first succesful run with the engine on New Years Day at NEOLS. The only problem was the paint on the smokebox started to come off.

After I ran the engine a week later I started to take the engine apart to repaint it. I disassembled the engine, and then with the help of a friend sandblasted and repainted the jacket, pilot, smokebox, cab, running boards, and the domes. I decided to change the paint scheme of the engine also. All of the gaskets on the cylinders were replaced with new teflon gaskets and all of the packing was replaced in the cylinders. The original builder had the lubricator on the engineers side running board and was driven off of a valve eccentric. The problem was it gave way to much motion to the lubricator, and it did not look that great. So the lubricator was moved to inbetween the frame and driven off of the axlepump. The injector that came with the engine never worked, so I bought a new one from A&K. Lastley all of the plumbing in the cab was replaced.

Here is a pic of the engine at the NJLS's 50th meet.

Here is the engine on the highline at NEOLS on New Years Day. You can see the paint on the smokebox peeling off. In the backround you can see a LBSC Virginia.

Here is a pic of the engine from two weeks ago at NEOLS. I am very happy with how everything turned out. I will most likely wait till next winter to repaint the tender. When I do that I want to letter the engine B&O.

LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Your engine is not based on Virginia. It was a chassis that was originally intended to be a Pennsylvania RR locomotive that was built by Gib Emerson of Montclair, NJ. he died before he finished the locomotive and the chassis was purchased by the late Jay Duke, also of Montclair, NJ. Jay sold the chassis to Earl Clark and he built the boiler and tender and finished the locomotive. Your locomotive was started in the 1930's....long before the Virginia was designed.

Keith
Gugger

Post by Gugger »

It was back in 1980 when my family and I were on holiday in Scotland. During a visit to the local railway station I discovered on the kiosk a magazine unknown to me, “The Model Engineer”. I had to buy it.

In the magazine were advertisements for drawings and castings for steam locomotives. I then ordered the catalogues from an at the time well known company.
In the catalogue were various designs of English engines. One advertisement showing the picture of a locomotive with the remark “For Beginners” found my special attention, the photo was of a LNER B1, but of a full size locomotive.
I just finished my first model engineering work, a Stuart “Victoria”, built exactly according the supplied drawings.
I was ready to take on a new challenge. Not overestimating my skills, the order for the drawings and castings for that beginner’s engine was placed.

What an awakening when the order did arrive, I had never seen such questionable drawings and castings. But no doubts, I spent the money; the locomotive had to be built.

I did not know any model engineers, no chance to talk over any problems; I had to search for books and old “Model Engineers” dealing with building locomotives. A subscription for that magazine was placed in the mean time.
A family, a demanding job that meant also frequent travelling, playing in a band, and now that engine with almost overbearing problems, it was to take me 20 years to build that steam locomotive.

Walter

A few pictures of my engine:

Scott K

Post by Scott K »

Walter,
Nice job!!!!
Scott K
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Magnificent is the word that comes to mind for me!

Keith
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

OK guys, time to add more steam engines to this list before the snow goes away and we are all too busy steaming to post things!
wnctraindad

Post by wnctraindad »

Starting a Kozo A3, just waiting on my castings from friends and getting my mill set up, I really need to stay off there site before I buy castings for another loco!!! Also going to start the tom thumb engine that's going in live steam, I hope what I learn from the A3 and Tom thumb will help me on other engines, also going to order more rail to build me a highline, since I'm not close to anyone with 3 1/2 gauge track.
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

Here is a quick photo of my new 3/4 scale Coventry design P7 B&O Castings from the 60's, should have running'this season, build time about two years
Joe
Attachments
P7 january262014 009.JPG
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Joe Tanski wrote:Here is a quick photo of my new 3/4 scale Coventry design P7 B&O Castings from the 60's, should have running'this season, build time about two years
Joe
Hi Joe....it looks really great. The Coventry B&O P-7 goes back a lot farther than the 1960's however. The design was first published in the Modelmaker magazine in the early 1930's.

Keith
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

I read that Joe had been "seasoning" the castings since the 60's...

Not that we'd ever do anything like that. I have kits for OO scale that have been seasoning for 30 years now :oops: :oops: :oops:

Dad has blocks & bits that have been part done since about the same time. I think the 2" boiler/motion has been sitting around since the mid 90's. (traction engine). It's even seen fire !

James Powell
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

James Powell wrote:I read that Joe had been "seasoning" the castings since the 60's...

James Powell
James...I have a 3/4" Friends Tom Thumb that my dad and I started in 1961 sitting on the bench! The engine runs on steam and the boiler has been steamed too. Pretty much everything is done except connecting them all together.
I don't like to rush into these things.......

Keith