The Home Machinist's 3/4" Scale Locomotive Roster

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steve Bratina

Re: The Home Machinist's 3/4" Scale Locomotive Roster

Post by Steve Bratina »

Many years ago, I had a Niagara like locomotive in 3/4". It was started by Frank Birch and finished to run by Bob Roy. I bought the engine off of Bob and travelled with this engine to Washakum and PVLS but I took the engine mostly to the Finger Lakes track. My chum Harold Crouch and I would run for quite some time with our Niagaras. Harold's was coal but mine was on propane. After a year or so, I made a proper Niagara tender for the engine and fabricated an S1b rear truck. (the original 6000 had a slightly different rear truck) Since my engine was really not a scale representation of a Niagara, I gave it the number 6026. They had 26 Niagaras but the last one had Franklin poppet valves and was numbered 5500. I had alot of fun and many pleasurable runs with 6026. I ended up trading it off for Henry Hosper's 1" Niagara. I thought at the time it was a good move but I came to regret that move. My wife Carol said that maybe one day we can get her back. I heard that the Niagara went state side and I thought that was that.
While talking to a friend about a G scale locomotive, he mentioned that one of the guys at the club has a Niagara for sale. I thought that this engine may be Stan Griggs old Niagara that eventually ended up in New Jersey. I went down to have a look and take some pictures for history sake. Under the bench at the club I could see the centipede tender and a bit of the engine. When the guy pulled it out, I knew that engine anywhere. It was my old Niagara.
Long story short, sold off some full size steam engines, and brought the old girl home. She is in rough shape and needs some work but the plan now is to have here up and back to form for the PVLS 60th.
Looks like you can come home again!
Attachments
Niagara 1.JPG
Niagara 2.JPG
Niagara 3.JPG
Niagara 4.JPG
backyardrails

Post by backyardrails »

Nice going Steve! Long Tender. Will she be coal fired or corn feed? :P
Bernie
WJH

Post by WJH »

FLLS removed their highline long before I was a member there.. I remember Harold quite well, I really miss his stories about the NYC.
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

8) Kool, a playmate for Betty. I'll start gathering the concrete blocks.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
Dave Bortz

Post by Dave Bortz »

Very nice loco Steve... One question, is that trailing truck in the correct way ?

I thought the larger-higher part of the casting would go to the rear... or am I looking at it backwards ? It is early...

Very sweet in any case.
Dave
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

This girl used to be propane but this time around she will be alcohol. Lots of water and alcohol capacity in this tender. Next year at MLS will be the year of big power, that's for sure. As for the rear truck, the 6000 had the higher section I the back to add a booster but with 6000 HP, it wasn't needed so the look was reversed for clearance under the ash pan. The 5500 also had the high section in the front.
10 Wheeler Rob

Post by 10 Wheeler Rob »

Steve, I am looking forward to seeing this old girl going at it hot and heavy!

Rob
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

It's really a pleasure to see all the activity in 3/4" scale. Time to get working on the High Line!
Jack
Steve Bratina

Post by Steve Bratina »

I was looking through some old magazines during the week and trying to find a certain picture. It took a while but I got her. The guy with the Harwick mentioned that he had no history on it. I was wondering, since engines go through rebuilds and slight changes, if this could have been that engine in an earlier time. If not, I wonder what ever became of Mr Burtt's engine?
Attachments
1948 Model Engineer.jpg
gwrdriver

Post by gwrdriver »

Steve Bratina wrote:The guy with the Harwick mentioned that he had no history on it. I was wondering, since engines go through rebuilds and slight changes, if this could have been that engine in an earlier time.
Steve,
Hardwicke is LBSC's "Mabel" design (an LNWR Precedent class, also called the "Jumbos") which is very similar to Petrolea (Great Eastern) in wheel class and overall size although there is 3/8" difference in the drive wheel diameters and the lead wheels are inside the frames on Petrolea and outside on the Mabel. I suppose one could be dressed up as another, and vice versa, easily enough but the wheels would be different. I have the drivers and I'm keeping my eye out for more orphaned castings for a Jumbo/Mabel myself.
GWRdriver
Nashville TN
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Some photos of David Powell's locos, some of which are now mine (possession being 9/10ths...)

So, other engines that we have:
Monsterous
Thing

(these two are closely related, Monsterous being 2x Thing, and there are some images of it out there)

David had a 5" gauge electric outfit in the UK, there are some photos but none that I have put on the internet.
The 2-8-4 in 2.5" gauge got a lot of running at Toronto Live Steamers, which has a 2.5" gauge line. (I think Caribou 1 & 2 also visited TLS, as did Robin Hood).

So, the other engines:

Total list:
5" gauge Bo-Bo electric (sold in 1979 on move to Canada)
Hudson 1 (Hoffman Hudson, with deep firebox, steel boiler. Bought unfinished in 1984, required feed pump, quartering adjustment, boiler finishing, plumbing. Sold ~1988 to Ted McJanet, into the NE USA. No tender at time of sale)
Thing (currently in pieces in my basement)
Robin Hood (ex Harry Boneham, Toronto; presently in my basement requiring work)
Caribou 1 (currently in my basement, awaiting me to make a new inlet valve for the pump, which should be happening but I'm here and have a bunch of work drawings to do before I get to play on a lathe again)
Caribou 2 (finished and sold on)
Monsterous (currently awaiting new boiler due to failure of silver solder on upper tube plate) (4.75" gauge)
Maisy (for sale, contact David for info)
Hudson 2 (I'm unsure of this engine's status, but believe it is awaiting boiler work/additional adjustment due to limited sucess as a operational engine)
Boston & Albany (currently with poor performance, valve gear is rather suspect in basic design, since it is slide valved)
2-8-4 (sold on, and 2.5" gauge anyway)

I think that is most of the railway steam we've had pass through our hands for ownership. we've both driven others, but that's most of our ownership.

As far as tracks go, I think Robin Hood wins for most traveled (furthest between) in North America. You'd be hard pressed to beat my house for points west, and Dr Lockwood's track in Newfoundland is (was?) the furthest east...

James Powell
Attachments
Photo of our Hudson, ~1985.  Track is Toronto Society of Model Engineers, located then about 2 miles/3 km away from where Richmond Hill track is
Photo of our Hudson, ~1985. Track is Toronto Society of Model Engineers, located then about 2 miles/3 km away from where Richmond Hill track is
Hudson1.jpg (61.72 KiB) Viewed 9732 times
Caribou 1, which I now have out west with me.  Caribou 2 lacked superheat, and was bought and sold on.  ( both finished by David)
Caribou 1, which I now have out west with me. Caribou 2 lacked superheat, and was bought and sold on. ( both finished by David)
Another photo of Hudson, taken at the COALS track, which has since been removed.
Another photo of Hudson, taken at the COALS track, which has since been removed.
OmletHudson.jpg (44.17 KiB) Viewed 9732 times
Britannia, finished by Harry Boneham, Toronto.  Started by his brother in law (?).  OMLET winner (x2).  I've owned her for 13 years now.  (wow!).
Britannia, finished by Harry Boneham, Toronto. Started by his brother in law (?). OMLET winner (x2). I've owned her for 13 years now. (wow!).
Brit2MLS.jpg (58.79 KiB) Viewed 9732 times
cheating, as this is 4 3/4" gauge!...I can't find a photo of "Thing" online...but it is basically the same idea, built with a Stuart 10V.  Photo comes from "Discover Live Steam"
cheating, as this is 4 3/4" gauge!...I can't find a photo of "Thing" online...but it is basically the same idea, built with a Stuart 10V. Photo comes from "Discover Live Steam"
omletDavidPowell2.jpg (32.39 KiB) Viewed 9732 times
WJH

Post by WJH »

This one will be built, can you guess what it is?
click here