Power Models "Maxi" aluminum rail & 8# ASCE

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Loco112

Power Models "Maxi" aluminum rail & 8# ASCE

Post by Loco112 »

Men, do any of you have any of the old Power Models "Maxi" aluminum rail (about 1.250" tall) , and or some of the US rolled 8# ASCE or more commonly known as "8 pound rail" ?

I need a few feet of both of these in really good condition to serve as samples. I'll gladly pay you for them and the postage.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

How about drawings of 8 lb rail At one time I had 15,000 of steel 8 lb rail I sold it to a guy in NY state. I think he still has it.
Loco112

Maxi AL. rail and ASCE 8

Post by Loco112 »

How about drawings of 8 lb rail
I have multiple sources and copies of the ASCE sections of 12lbs. and up, but I don't have that 8LB ASCE section drawing.

I'd really appreciate a copy of that! :lol: :lol: :lol: Want to email it? I'll send you my email address in a PM. Thanks Trainman!

Loco112

Men, I still need that Power Models "Maxi" rail sample and a drawing also if it exists.
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

Here are the dimensions for “West Virginia” 8 lb. It was made by the Midwest Steel Corporation in Charleston WV. They rolled it up until the middle 1960’s. I had purchased 15,000 ft of the stuff around 20 years ago. Most people said that it would be hard to acquire. Well I was able to find that much rail. The trick is to be willing to pay a decent price for it. I was averaging $2.00 per foot. I sold it all some years later for around that amount per foot.

The sample on the right is steel 8 lb. The aluminum equivalent on the left came from Back Yard railroad, not to be confused with the company that made diesels called Backyard Rails. Backyard Railroad was a company that existed in the fifties and into the seventies in Bethlehem Pa.. I purchased my first lot of 3500 ft. of 8lb steel rail from the owner.
Attachments
Picture 005.jpg
Picture 004.jpg
Picture 008.jpg
Loco112

Post by Loco112 »

Dave let me make sure I understand your post.

004.jpg and 005.jpg are both drawings of the "West Virginia" 8# rail as rolled by Midwest Steel.

the 005.jpg is the section drawing and the 004.jpg is the drilling and splice bar drawing.

In Photo 008.jpg, is that also West Virginia 8# or regular 8# ASCE on the right?
And obviously on the left is shown the aluminium section from "Backyard Railroad".

Do you know if Midwest's "West Virginia" 8# and regular old ASCE 8# use the same section dimensions?
Trainman4602

Post by Trainman4602 »

All of what you have said is correct. Have you looked into RMI for rail? Also the uk has some steel cross section in 8lb. Also there was a 10lb steel rail. It was used as a transion between 8 and 12 lb. I had a piece some were around. I got it fro Norman Sandley (R&GN)
Loco112

PM "Maxi" and 8# rails

Post by Loco112 »

Have you looked into RMI for rail? Also the uk has some steel cross section in 8lb. Also there was a 10lb steel rail. It was used as a transition between 8 and 12 lb. I had a piece some were around. I got it fro Norman Sandley (R&GN)
Yep I've talked to RMI, they get some of their steel rail from an outfit in GB and I've talked to those Brits also. The Brits have a few different odd sizes, and I think I've seen them all except for a couple of rails that are also rolled in a British mill and that are sized between the 8# and the Tom Miller rail so they are about 1.250" tall, and that's just about perfect. I am hoping that one of these will allow a three-rail track, but I have tried and tried to get some info on that rail and have not yet been able to do so. That's why I'm thinking of either; rolling the PM "Maxi" rail in steel, or just going with the Chinese 8# rail and not having a three-rail track, because the 8# rail is too wide at the base to allow a third rail in the two gauges I want; 7.5" and 9", but we'll see. I think the PM "Maxi" rail in steel would be very popular to a lot guys that run NG locos with heavy axle loads, so that might be a good way to get my rail at the best price, and I could sell the rest of the many miles of rail that a mill run requires at "cost" to get rid of it as quickly as possible.
hptwin

Post by hptwin »

dear loco 112, i tried to buy some of the power models/ c a street 1.250 aluminum rail shortly before the tragic spectacular end of the establishment. i was able to get a 1 foot sample that i gave to my extruder and had 2000 feet made. i still own the die. if you have not made other arrangements
, why re-invent the wheel?
Loco112

Power models/ C.A .Street 1.250 aluminum rail

Post by Loco112 »

hptwin wrote; dear loco 112, i tried to buy some of the power models/ c a street 1.250 aluminum rail shortly before the tragic spectacular end of the establishment. i was able to get a 1 foot sample that i gave to my extruder and had 2000 feet made. i still own the die. if you have not made other arrangements
, why re-invent the wheel?
Hang onto that piece, its rare now apparently! My axle loads are so heavy that I feel like I can only use steel rail (unfortunately) but I really appreciate the offer. I do think that the old C.A.Street/Power rail should be a very popular rail size, and it should enjoy a growing customer base as the locos get larger and the axle loads go up. You should offer it and see what kind of response you get. When you want to make it in steel or order a huge quantity of either steel or Al., talk me and I'll get if for you at the world market price, but you'll have to buy a shipping container full of it to get that price.

I'm still trying to get my chosen 9" gauge and the smaller 7.5" gauge to fit on the same cross-tie. My chosen rail is easily that old Power 1.25" size (rolled in steel) but it's just too wide at the base to allow a third rail. If you've read my posts, I know I keep going back and forth between rolling that Power rail in steel and using a GB 6# rail which is nearly that same size, or just using heavier 8# steel rail, but I keep thinking that the only way I can have visiting locomotives is to have a dual gauge layout so I'm exhausting all methods for that before I give up completely.

I'm now working on evaluating a rail from GB that is 31mm tall but with only a 25mm wide base. This will take the heavy axle loads of my 9" gauge equipment and allow me to mount a 7.5" gauge "third rail" right next to it so that all my "small" scale friends ( 7.5" gauge ha ha ) can bring their locos to visit. We'll see. Thanks again for your offer!
hudson

Steel Rail

Post by hudson »

You could also try:

http://www.montanstahl.com/

in Switzerland.

It's a rolling mill and do also drawing profiles.

They have an English homepage.

AFAIK they export to the USA.

hudson
joneg

Post by joneg »

there is someone on discover live steam classified ads with about 5000 feet of 8lb steel rail for sale
tomc

Post by tomc »

He is in Calafornia so better be close or pay thru the nose for freight.

Tom c.
tom_at_srclry_com
A student of the Southend RGS!