pixels

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

raylrodr

pixels

Post by raylrodr »

can someone explain the process for posting pictures? Seems the program wants a max of 100000 bytes. How do you control that? Additionally...the "thumbnail" wants a max of 65 X 75 pixels (?) any help would be appreciated.
Scott
Bob_Starr

Re: pixels

Post by Bob_Starr »

Scott,
Pixels are the little squares that make up the body of the pictures on our computers and are used as a unit of measure of the length and width of said picture. My picture to the side here is 75x54, which equals 28533 bytes. Now, a picture this size:
[img]http://gold.mylargescale.com/BobStarr\P ... wrun11.jpg[/img]
This one equals 52135 bytes or 512x384 pixels. You need to have a program in your computer to resize pictures after they come out of your camera. Paint Shop Pro is my favorite, but there are plenty out there.
Bob
ttyR2

Post by ttyR2 »

"Resolution" when relating to computer monitors can mean different things to different people. Most folks see a resolution like 1024X768 as being the viewable area on a screen. The old standard for scanning photo's and posting them to the web was 72dpi. Most PC's these days will display at 96dpi. So, using a scanner or digital picture, retouch the photo so it looks nice (play with sharpening the photo and/or adjusting the brightness and contrast) and then resize the photo to something reasonable like 6" wide at 72dpi. 96dpi will look just a bit nicer but does make the file larger. Typically, upload services keep file size limits so that people aren't uploading huge files that consume space and make the board bog for modem users/folks who don't have the benefit of high speed internet access. Saving the file as a JPEG (.jpg) also helps as it involves compressing the file and will make the image much smaller than a .gif or .bmp. If it asks what quality to save as (PhotoShop, for example, uses a scale of 1 to 10) pick the middle of the range.

Hope this helps.
Thanks,
ttyR2
willy

Post by willy »

If none of you have the cash or desire to download a large program, might I suggest a program called Lview31.exe. I will email it to anyone that wants it, I just did a web search for it, not much luck with google. The program if you want it is 596k in size and works with any windows based machines (no I am not affiliated with Lview and I am not trying to promote them). It is shareware and wicked simple for rescaling pictures. The key that should be noted here is that you need to "maintain aspect ratio". This is what I did for my icon. I just told the program that the pic that is normally 800x600 or some such thing to use a initail value of 65 (the program came up with the other #).

-willy-
themnax
Location: a small green planet in a distant galaxy (actualy roseville california)

Post by themnax »

fur what it's worth what i convert formats with is an old dos shareware immage handler that was on a 2cd set with a bunch of delorme's stuff on it (total cost less then ten bux at hsc - this was a while back though). there's a delorme website somewhere that may still have something like it. what i resize with is paintbrush (that kind of enimic thing that comes with windoze - but it's as much as you really need for that - i'm pretty sure the mac os comes with an equivelant and probably did so first - but i wouldn't know having always had a wintel machine) - after converting to bump so it can deal with it. then convert back to gif or jpg. file size is delt with by going to jpg (which trades of resolution) which lets you set the amount of file compression. (the gizmo i'm using lets you crank in an actual percentage between 10 and 90) ... ~;)
oh and here's my rendering i cut my avitar out of ... ~;)
stay well and keep doing the wonderful things that you do ... ~;)