Great Model Railroads 2005

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Great Model Railroads 2005

Post by NP317 »

Dave Skagen is famous for his extraordinarily 1/8th scale logging locomotives, including all the cab valves and plumbing.
I have seen several of his locos steaming, including logging Mallet #8, a side tank 2-6-6-2! Even the air compressors were quietly functional!

He has also built Rayonier #70, a 70-ton 2-8-2, two 3-truck Shays, two 3-truck Heislers, and two 3-truck Climax locomotives, and undoubtedly others, mostly for Tom Murray, in Washington State. They now reside in Mineral, Washington, at the rail yard of the (now closed?) Mt. Rainier Scenic Railway, which I helped start in the early 1980s. Tom Murray was the principal funder behind that railroad, and is now deceased. Rest in Peace, Tom.

Dave's track in the woods near Shelton, WA, is fun and challenging to run on, with grades and curves intertwined so you are not aware of nearby locomotives surprisingly close through the dense trees. I've seen Dave's Sandy River loco running there. Truly a monster.
My pictures from those days are long gone, compliments of old cameras, computers, and lost data.
Otherwise I would share them.
RussN