Massproduction of steamengines

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

AnthonyDuarte

Re: Massproduction of steamengines

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

apm wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:02 am Anyone think I am off on my numbers? Maybe British ships work for a lot less? Even if they're at $75/hr once they buy their materials I doubt they have more than 170hrs left in the budget.
It’s essentially a scaled up Accucraft Ruby. Very small very simple engine manufactured in Accucraft’s China factory, not in the UK.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Maybe I missed it in the previous four pages of replies, but a company in north England, Station Road Steam seems to be doing a good job with simple 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 in both 5” and 7.25” gauge. They’ve made over one hundred engines now. All made in England.

No relation to company other than happy customer of a second hand 3.5” gauge Virginia from them.
apm

Post by apm »

Mountaineer wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:37 am Maybe I missed it in the previous four pages of replies, but a company in north England, Station Road Steam seems to be doing a good job with simple 0-4-0 and 0-6-0 in both 5” and 7.25” gauge. They’ve made over one hundred engines now. All made in England.

No relation to company other than happy customer of a second hand 3.5” gauge Virginia from them.
Looks like the total price is $14,500 for an 0-6-0 that's pretty impressive once again when you try to think in terms of how many man hrs in each one if you were to build one in a standard hobbyist shop.
https://www.stationroadsteam.com/genera ... ode-gg060/
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Wayne Godschall's shop produced an impressive number of PRR H-10s Consolidations at a fairly steep, but not outrageous price. He was going to turn out PRR B6sb 0-6-0 switchers, but I don't think those ever came out. I'd like to know if those remain in development. A simplified G5s ten-wheeler would be a nice production model if under $20K.
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
Miserlou57

Post by Miserlou57 »

AnthonyDuarte wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 9:04 am It’s essentially a scaled up Accucraft Ruby. Very small very simple engine manufactured in Accucraft’s China factory, not in the UK.
Does Accucraft manufacture for Maxitrax? I always thought they were different
wbarbe

Post by wbarbe »

The Station Road Steam locomotives appear to be a good value for the money but they only produce British engines. Wish someone in the US would make a nice narrow gauge Porter or Baldwin in the same size.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Tom Artzberger does basically that for 2.5” scale. Have a lot of respect for the raw amount of hard work that guy has done offering machined bigger bits for his RGS 4-6-0 and Rio Grande C-21 2-8-0.