filling a hot boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bob D.

Re: filling a hot boiler

Post by Bob D. »

I don't think a 12g Co2 cartridge dispensing 1/4 cu.ft. of gas into the firebox is going to do much. Combustion air comes up thru the grates, not over the top of the fire. Might clean some soot from the tubes….
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

It's common for my blow downs to drip as Jim describes and seal as soon as there is a little pressure behind them. Cycling them a couple times usually helps. Once however I had one leaking to the point it would be a race between keeping water in the glass and getting the injector on. Cycling the valve didn't help it seal. I chose to kill the fire. When pressure was below the point I'd normally blow down I emptied the boiler and dealt with the blow down. Why continue on to operating pressure hoping the valve seals up or try to hot swap the blow down for a plug?
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

pat1027 wrote: Mon Dec 05, 2022 1:08 pm Why continue on to operating pressure hoping the valve seals up or try to hot swap the blow down for a plug?
you know, I would pay good money to watch someone attempt that. :lol: :lol: :wink:
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Chris:
'Won't be Me!
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

nor me....

let me know if you know someone who is going to try it, and where they will be at the time.

call 911 for the burn unit....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

Well, I guess I've done a lot of foolish things in my life. I let the pressure get down to zero, or very near it, put on the appropriate hand protection, and swap away. I usually walk away and let things cool down a bit more after the pressure reaches zero, but there is still hot water in boiler. At least the hot water is not shooting out at me. Last time a did something like this, I had the plug at the ready on the end of my long socket and screwed it in, after I quickly got the blowdown valve to fall out of the way of course.
I'll have someone take a video next time I attempt this. I'll have all the sissies stand way back- ha!
Jim Kreider
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

haha
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Ten Points, Jim.
5 for a ballsy move,
and 5 more for success!!
RussN
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

I’d better renege on making that video as I would probably make a mess of things next time I tried it. I will admit that I do walk away for at least an hour after the pressure is zero before I do the change out.
To digress for a moment from the topic of this post, it would not be the first time when I have done something that I would not want recorded, like the time Dick Bagley developed and installed his internal mixing burner in his 2-8-0. He hands me the gloves and says “try it”. So I sit down on the tender and say to Dick, “So it puts out a lot of fire, huh?” About a second after I ask the question, I opened the firedoor and proceed to set fire to my crotch, half the rags in the tender, and you could smell the hair being singed on my arms. Dick laughs and says, “Does that answer your question?” I guess I should have turned the burner down some, you think?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

almost sounds like an entry for 'darwin awards' site....

I have a gas burner in my 3/4" Hudson that does pretty much the same thing -> NEVER OPEN THE FIREDOOR when it is more than just 'ticking over'...
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Ah,
The Darwin Award.

One has to actually remove oneself from the gene pool to qualify….

Hence, Darwin Award.

🤣
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

setting one's crotch on fire could effectively removed the subject from further entrance into the gene pool..... :mrgreen: