Identifying 0-6-0 engine

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

rkepler

Identifying 0-6-0 engine

Post by rkepler »

I'm trying to identify the engine below for the newest owner.
joes_loco.jpg
Some of the castings have "LE" in them so I'm suspecting Little Engines but it's not like the current 0-6-0 switcher offering. It's from the late 70's and most recently was fired in Riverside (specifically it was called "Little Smokey" and carries a #2 road number). First firing on this was weird as both the throttle and Johnson bar were backwards. I'm trying to get bore and stroke.

I'm kind of thinking it might be a free style from LE castings. The new owner is going to be looking for cylinder drain cocks, brake rigging (no brakes on this loco) and maybe an axle pump - the center axle has an eccentric but I don't see anything else for pump mount, etc. Kind of looking for plans but have to identify things first.

Cute little engine. Small enough to load sideways in the back of a small SUV. Ran very well once we'd figured that it wanted high pressure propane.
Benjamin Maggi

Re: Identifying 0-6-0 engine

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

Those side rods look unusual as if they have forked ends. And the boiler diameter sure looks larger than a regular engine. Almost as if he was trying to replicate a narrow-gauge engine.

It is distinctive though and I am sure someone will be able to identify it.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
PRR5406

Post by PRR5406 »

Wilfred Brimley was a live steamer?
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
rkepler

Post by rkepler »

PRR5406 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 3:31 pm Wilfred Brimley was a live steamer?
It's the mustache, right? At Train Mountain someone said something similar but no, I'm not WB.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Which is good.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Looks to me like a completely freelance design... which I like. It looks like the wheels may not be castings but made from solid steel with the counterweights either milled or welded in. Very unique looking locomotive. Bet you don't have problems with steam with that big boiler on there.

The tender looks like the one from the old-time Mogul that was sold by LE. The LE 0-4-0, 0-6-0 and modern 2-6-0 all had true piston valves, so your cylinders couldn't be from them. Might be the cylinders and valve gear from the old-time LE 2-6-0 mogul that was used? I believe that those locomotives had crosshead pumps on them, but It's been a while since I've seen one.

Wish there were a few more pictures of the locomotive.