AT&SF caboose cabinet latches

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

OddDuck

AT&SF caboose cabinet latches

Post by OddDuck »

Before I cast a great big batch of these that are just going to sit there and gather dust, would anybody be interested in replica AT&SF caboose cabinet latches? I have had this pattern for a long time, one of the members here (can't remember who exactly) belonged to a group restoring an original caboose, and sent me an original to replicate. I still have the pattern, and finally got around to making a mock up using a set.
https://youtu.be/l6duxHdVRs4
This pattern was a direct copy of the original, you can still see the raised lettering on the hasp. I will be casting them in bronze, price yet to be determined. Remember, the holidays are approaching, these would make great gifts...
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
makinsmoke

Re: AT&SF caboose cabinet latches

Post by makinsmoke »

The cast latches were used to replace missing latches on the cabinet doors on AT&SF waycar 2259 in Bartlesville, Oklahoma.

They are beautiful renditions of the originals

One suggestion might be to offer them on Discover Live Steam in the Full Size section. I’d bet there are more than one waycar or caboose in the country missing latches!!

Thanks again for casting these for us!

Brian Banks
makinsmoke

Post by makinsmoke »

Here’s a photo from the bartlesvillelocomotive.org website showing original latches on the last car of the class, 2300 when new.
F92A3DA1-3F92-4EDE-8C0A-E4C6F8551888.jpeg
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

You could also post on the classifieds section of Railway Preservation News. It's members include those restoring full-sized equipment.

http://www.rypn.org/forums/viewforum.php?f=2
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

It was you Makinsmoke! I had a short list of three, and you were on top, but I wasn't sure. Thanks for chiming in, and that's a great photo. I was honored to help. Good suggestion about DLS, might just do that.
"If you took the bones out they wouldn't be crunchy!" -Monty Python's Flying Circus
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

I've gone ahead and cast some, I have ten sets ready to go to a new home. It would have been more, but I ran out of fuel for my big furnace. I'll be refueling in a couple days, and if these "fly off the shelf ", I'll make some more.
Details will be in the for sale section.
This is going to be a Chaski-only offering for a few days, I will be putting them on Facebook Friday.
OddDuck

Post by OddDuck »

Here's the video of casting these:
https://youtu.be/s3kw1BhSil0