Driver wheels profile

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Driver wheels profile

Post by Bill Shields »

yes...i am sure...profile is the same for 1.6 / 1.5

if someone had wide and square flanges, they would not be correct for either 1.5 or 1.6
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:57 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:06 pm Profile for 1.5 and 1.6 should matter not.
Are you sure?
I recall being at the Northwest Live Steamers Track (Molalla, Oregon) many years ago when a builder unknown to me showed up with a steamer. The profile of his wheels was such that he couldn't operate on their track. If memory serves, his flanges were wide and square.

H

I think what Bill means is that the IBLS profile is for the wheel vis-a-vis the track regardless of scale. Thus even a 2 1/2-inch scale engine needs the IBLS profile. If a 2 1/2-scale engine was built with a scaled-from-prototype profile, it would not pass the IBLS profile.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:57 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:06 pm Profile for 1.5 and 1.6 should matter not.
Are you sure?
I recall being at the Northwest Live Steamers Track (Molalla, Oregon) many years ago when a builder unknown to me showed up with a steamer. The profile of his wheels was such that he couldn't operate on their track. If memory serves, his flanges were wide and square.

H
the profile for 1.5, 1.6, 2.5 and 3.75 scales are the same.
if his flanges was wide and sq, he machined them incorrectly,
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Not the same wheel, this is a 1.6 scale engine. Do you think I need to have it turned?
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Your second photo shows the flange as being too wide, so yes, it should be turned. A wide flange could cause damage to track. Check the back-to-back on the wheels, too.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Emfinger

Post by Emfinger »

Hello Greg, got my first locomotive 3 years ago. Didn't know I would need a new shop with a lathe & mill. Plus the new out building required HVAC. Oh well. "Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap." GOT IT

Check this out I'm 78 with no background in this stuff. The lathe, mill, drill press, plasma cutter, Oxy/gas, stick welder, plus all the other stuff. I can make a mess of anything. I'm working on the valve timing, after I understand the system I'll need to mill new valves. My fears have put a stop to everything....two years ago !
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Emfinger wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 7:57 pm Hello Greg, got my first locomotive 3 years ago. Didn't know I would need a new shop with a lathe & mill. Plus the new out building required HVAC. Oh well. "Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap." GOT IT

Check this out I'm 78 with no background in this stuff. The lathe, mill, drill press, plasma cutter, Oxy/gas, stick welder, plus all the other stuff. I can make a mess of anything. I'm working on the valve timing, after I understand the system I'll need to mill new valves. My fears have put a stop to everything....two years ago !

Ah, but it's so much fun. I don't have any background either, hence the sig line. Took a welding class at the community college and got an F. My welds look like turkey — well, I can't use that word here.

Seriously, though, the fun for me is figuring out how to make the stuff. I love researching some part and then trying to figure out how to make it. I don't feel any self-induced pressure to finish the loco — I just enjoy solving what Jack calls "little puzzles."
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

After a friend found that I was thinking projects to death and not getting much done, his advise was "just do it." He was right. I either get a good part or a good learning experience.

I'm 74 and have a locomotive that's been under construction, on and off, for 35 years. My goal is to finish it, but I'm also realistic that it may never be done. That's OK, I enjoy every minute spent I on it.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

My understanding:
Both 1.5"/ft and 1.6"/ft scales can be gauged to operate on 7-1/4 or 7.5" gauge track. So they will have the same wheel tread and flange profiles, with some potential exceptions.
The IBLS wheel profile standards are more often that not followed now. (Arguments later.)

To accommodate both gauges, the tracks require changes to the frog gaps width and to the guard-rail gaps to accommodate both axle/wheel gauges.
An associated challenge is to machine wheel tread widths so they can work on both those gauges.

It's too late for my brain to think about this now...
RussN
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 4:31 pm yes...i am sure...profile is the same for 1.6 / 1.5

if someone had wide and square flanges, they would not be correct for either 1.5 or 1.6
Ok, now I get it. When reading your comment it was easy to think that the profile wasn't important, not that the difference between 1.5" & 1.6" didn't matter. I fully agree with that, as the track on which they run is the same.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
SPSteam2491

Post by SPSteam2491 »

The 3D printed profile gauge is a good idea for a quick check, like a GO/NO-GO gauge.

Is the gauge printed at nominal dimensions for the profile or at the minimum required?
Thanks
John LaFavor
Pacific Design Shops
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

It is based on track gauge, NOT scale. A 1.5" scale narrow gauge loco needs to be built to 4 3/4" gauge track and a 1.5" scale standard gauge engine is built for 7.XX track. The scale of the loco is irrelevant to the wheel profile.
Matt Mason