Driver wheels profile

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cbrew

Re: Driver wheels profile

Post by cbrew »

Harold_V wrote: Tue Sep 27, 2022 1:02 am
Bill Shields wrote: Mon Sep 26, 2022 6:28 pm Andy haas the way to do it :mrgreen:
Good one, Bill :!:

Being from the old school of machining, I have a hydraulic duplicator (poor man's CNC) on my Graziano. It was purchased many years ago to fulfill a government contract for more than 600 main landing gear spacers for the C-130 aircraft. A 5/8" X 45° chamfer on the ID plus a gentle taper terminating in a large radius (on the OD) were required, each of which pretty much mandating the use of a machine capable of contouring. This was long before the advent of CNC's. They had a couple tight tolerances, each handled in stride by the duplicator.

While I have yet to use it for profiling a wheel, that's precisely what I'll do if I happen to get to the point where I have need. Once set up, it should be just as fast as a CNC.

H
If you ever feel the need, wheels is one of those pieces that are always in demand, 33" (4.125), 35" (4.5) and 40" (5.0). :D :wink: :| :mrgreen: :D

wheels are one of those items that i personally dread, while machining iron is easy and fast, machining from round bar is a pita imho.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

lots of the old machines are 'as fast as a CNC' - some faster - what the computer gets you is reduced setup time and flexibility.

I have yet to see a conventional 2 spindle CNC lathe outrun a Davenport (multi-spindle), even when doing milling on parts.

and you should see a 8 or 10 spindle CNC machine going after high volume parts like watch band links (believe it or not)...they are all made on a 'multi-spindle lathe (at least the ones made by Rolex in CH do it that way).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Interesting comments, Bill.
My point is that there's an alternate to a CNC when it comes to profiling wheels. If one owns an adequate lathe (robust and enough power plus adequate swing) the use of a profiler/hydraulic duplicator is a very good option, and they're reasonably priced now because no one wants them. Used, of course. Mine, new, was not cheap. I paid right at $2,000 at a time when my lathe, new, was only just slightly double that.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Harold_V wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 3:57 pm
Bill Shields wrote: Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:06 pm Profile for 1.5 and 1.6 should matter not.
Are you sure?
I recall being at the Northwest Live Steamers Track (Molalla, Oregon) many years ago when a builder unknown to me showed up with a steamer. The profile of his wheels was such that he couldn't operate on their track. If memory serves, his flanges were wide and square.

H
I could be wrong…..but I read Bill’s post as there not being a difference between the profile for 1.5” scale and 1.6” scale. Not that the profile didn’t matter in those scales.
Keith
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Keith is correct..I was saying that profiles for 1.6 and 1.5 gauge are the same.

Not that back to back are the same...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Not to belabor the point, as I (now) understand what was the intended meaning. However, if you dissect the statement, it clearly states that the two do not matter. That can be misinterpreted. It does not imply that one does not matter when compared to the other. If any statement can be confused, it is best clarified for those who may not have a firm understanding. Were that not the case, I wouldn't have made the comment I did about the square and wide flanges that showed up on the track in Molalla.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.