Grates

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Grates

Post by hoppercar »

I built my grates for the rrsc mikado, according to there standard print. These grates tip up when depressed in the center, with your fire poker, and are supposed to dump. These have been nothing but a pain and a hassle, they tip, and ash and clinkers get under them , then they won't lay back down.......I usually have to break out the shop vac, and clean it out after cooling down .....my priority this winter is to take these grates out....and make several sections that will fit thru the door, that you can remove with a hook ...can each section...go the entire length of the fire box, or will they warp, being that long ??.......the set of tilting grates I have now are all stainless steel....and are holding up fine after several years of use....so new ones will be stainless also..
Bill Shields

Re: Grates

Post by Bill Shields »

You will be ok with that idea.

Even if they do warp a bit...you can mash them flat once they are out in the open.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Bruce_Mowbray

Post by Bruce_Mowbray »

Hopper,
The grates in my Fitchburg Northern are made in two sections, one right and one left each section is about 2" x 8" made of 1/4'" x 5/8" SS bar with 1/4" spaces and are bolted together to allow for some flex. They go the entire length of the firebox and are supported only on the very ends with crossbars. When I push up through the rear ashpan dump opening, I can dump the grates and the ash out through the front ash pan dump opening. Sometimes during the day when the lower part of the fire gets clogged with ash, and my butt gets somewhat numb from sitting for a few hours, I can open the ash pan dump and gently poke the grates to get any loose small ash to shake out without dumping the whole fire. I always keep a spare set of grates on hand just incase, but, the one original set has been through more than a few days of really hard running without any signs of warping or burning. I may design some kind of an external grate shaker at some point but I have a few other items to take care of first.
Bruce Mowbray
Springville & Southern RR
TMB Manufacturing & Locomotive Works
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

The grates in my shay are made from 1/4x3/4in hot rolled flat bar held together with 3/8in all thread with a nut between each bar. They're 10in long and Ive had no issue with warping, though they are starting to show some wear in the center after 2 years of use.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Mine were made from 1/4" x 1/2" stainless bar and like Tristan's assembled with all thread and nuts. Three sections that fit through the fire door. The fire box is 10" long. No issues with warping.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

I forgot to add, my grates are a sloppy fit in the firebox when cold. If I remember correctly, the grates are 1/4in shorter and narrower than the firebox opening so they dont jam when they heat up. Plus it makes it easier to get them out in the event of an emergency.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works