Rare Bird Model Works, CA

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jbennett1445

Re: Rare Bird Model Works, CA

Post by jbennett1445 »

Of course, the well-known Harris Shay featured in Live Steam was a model of a 3ft narrow gauge Class A Shay operating on 4.75" track. If indeed 5" gauge perhaps it is based on that design. If it has a straight rather than a T boiler it could be based on Harris's first Shay for which he produced plans but that was 1" scale, I believe. He was from CA.

Jim
www.chaski.com
darrene

Post by darrene »

Well... Fancy that! I picked up the loco and there was a stack of paperwork with it, including the following :shock:

Here's a shot of the loco itself - it's a nice little thing with some thoughtful features - pressure gauges on the lubricator and steam duplex pump lines, plus a spring-return fire door.

jbennett1445

Post by jbennett1445 »

I was obviously wrong about the first Harris Shay being 1" scale as the plans state 1 1/2". Not sure where I got that notion. He described it in the March 1980 Live Steam. It was loosely based on SN 826 which can be seen on shaylocomotives.com and is a left-hand Shay. The plans indicate using 1/8" steel on some of the boiler parts which while strong enough is a bit thin based on current designs. I am aware on one other Shay built to those plans at the St. Croix club, now with its second owner.

Jim
www.chaski.com
bushav

Post by bushav »

Very Cool!
New to live steam
Building 3/4” 4-8-4 Northern &
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

Dick_Morris wrote: Wed Sep 07, 2022 4:58 pm I remember the ads in Live Steam advertising the former Nelson Gray items, but don't think they were from
Railroad Supply.
It was Scale Railroad Supply out of Colorado, a different company from Railroad Supply. It was then sold to Lonnie and it is now 1" Scale Railroad Supply.
Matt Mason