Seeking 3/4” scale 4-8-4 Northern plans

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

bushav

Seeking 3/4” scale 4-8-4 Northern plans

Post by bushav »

I’m taking over a engine build that was sold in an estate sale. Beautiful work but absolutely no documentation.

I need a set of 4-8-4 plans in 3/4” scale. If anyone can assist I’m more than willing to buy/compensate an individual or supplier. Some forum members have speculated that I probably have Carl Hoffman cylinder,valve,saddle casting. Any drawings on the Hoffman cylinder specs would be a great help.

My project is at the point of making pistons, valves, and baker gear. Cylinders are bored and ported as are valve castings. Chassis is sitting on drivers with rods fitted. I’m anxious to start moving forward and learning about this hobby.
New to live steam
Building 3/4” 4-8-4 Northern &
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Dick_Morris

Re: Seeking 3/4” scale 4-8-4 Northern plans

Post by Dick_Morris »

Little Engines reprinted 1930s articles on their smaller gauge locomotives in booklets. One was for a 3/4" 4-6-4 and 4-8-4. I believe they originally ran in Model Craftsman. In the past I've seen reprints for sale on Ebay. While it may not be for the castings you have it should still give some good information. I found a description with a Google search - https://www.autopaper.com/drawings-inst ... -model.php

The smaller gauges were split off from the 1/8 scale line many years ago and there have been several ownership changes since then so the current Little Engines supplier isn't likely to have anything on them.
Last edited by Dick_Morris on Mon Sep 05, 2022 8:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

Need pictures of what you have. Could be LE, Friends, Coventry or other. The plans you need will depend on what you have.

SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
I'm thankful that metal is recyclable....
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

SteveR wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 12:02 am Need pictures of what you have. Could be LE, Friends, Coventry or other. The plans you need will depend on what you have.

SteveR
Steve,
He did post pictures in another thread. It is a Carl Hoffman Hudson that has been stretched to a 4-8-4. Friends never made a 3/4” 4-8-4 and the Langworthy Hudson castings would be the closest…but not the same. The Hoffman design uses Baker valve gear while the Little Engines uses Walschaerts gear and nothing from the L.E. design would work.

Keith
squandt

Post by squandt »

Hello, if you want a copy of the Little Engine booklet you can find it from Mike V, he reprinted the 3/4,1/2 and 1/4 books covering the Little Engine kits. You may also check IBLS website, Mike V is listed in the member list of this website.
stay on the shine side of the rail
squandt

Post by squandt »

Hello, I forgot to add all of the website for the holder of the booklets on the Little Engine drawings ,he is listed under the name highiron in the membership pages, I have dealt with him on other prints a real great guy to work with.
stay on the shine side of the rail
bushav

Post by bushav »

squandt wrote: Mon Sep 05, 2022 11:23 pm Hello, I forgot to add all of the website for the holder of the booklets on the Little Engine drawings ,he is listed under the name highiron in the membership pages, I have dealt with him on other prints a real great guy to work with.
I think your referring to the previous owner of Little Engines? I’m not sure he is responding to requests for info about the small gauge engines these days. At least that is my understanding.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

Mike V. doesn't have any castings for the small scale locomotives. He does have the construction manuals.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

The Little Engines manuals, while very interesting and historic, will not be of any use on the Hoffman Hudson/ Northern. They are two completely different machines.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Do not forget John at Friends' models..

The langworthy Hudson baker valve gear would be a good possibility.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Highiron

Post by Highiron »

Yes I am responding to Ed's an inquiries about the three small-scale books I have had several inquiries for them over the last month and I'm looking at doing another reprint of them later this fall I would like to get an idea of how many people would like a set of books they will only be sold in a set of three three quarter inch scale half inch scale and quarter inch scale approximate price for the set of three books will be 68 plus shipping send me an email to highiron@aol.com. if you would like to get on the list I will compile a want list through email and then announce when the books will be ready
bushav

Post by bushav »

Put me on the list. I’ll send an email so you’ll have mine.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific