Purchased Little Engines 4-6-2 Pacific circa 1965

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

bushav

Purchased Little Engines 4-6-2 Pacific circa 1965

Post by bushav »

I pulled the trigger today and puchased the two projects available locally (the 4-8-4 is another thread). I didn't pay much and there are issues. Great craftsmanship but missing some castings. I am in the research phase but really want to press ahead with this project if possible. All the 6** castings are missing. This is the drive rods, crosshead parts, etc.. I know this project passed from the estate of the original owner to two "flippers" before I got it. Dang, wish I had all the castings. O well, I am going to give this some effort and hopefully this locomotive will be running one day.
4-6-2 (5)_rotated.jpg
4-6-2 plans_rotated.jpg
castings_rotated.jpg
Last edited by rmac on Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
New to live steam
Building 3/4” 4-8-4 Northern &
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Andypullen

Re: Purchased Little Engines 4-6-2 Pacific circa 1965

Post by Andypullen »

The parts shown aren't Little Engines.

They are Friends Models; aka Yankee Shop castings. The valve gear frames, throttle valve, cylinders and saddle give it away.

Here's the website. http://www.friendsmodels.com/

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
bushav

Post by bushav »

Andypullen wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:10 am The parts shown aren't Little Engines.

They are Friends Models; aka Yankee Shop castings. The valve gear frames, throttle valve, cylinders and saddle give it away.

Here's the website. http://www.friendsmodels.com/

Andy Pullen
Thanks for the reply. I am trying to learn everything I can. Friends Models doesn't show a 4-6-2 model on their website but maybe it is worth a call. I talked to Little Engines yesterday and sent them pictures. They said that the cylinder castings have changed over the years and now are separate pieces like mine. Who knows. The measurements on the wheel/rod spacing matches my plans but the plans definately show a different design for the cylinders,saddle and valves.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

call John Kurdzionak at Friends as the 1” scale Pacific may not yet be ready to advertise. John has been slowly bringing back the old Yankee Shop designs.
This had necessitated frequently having new patterns made to meet modern foundry requirements. John may have what you need,
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Yeah, Doesn't look like LE castings to me. That's actually a good thing, in my opinion. Right now, you can get some 3/4" and 1" scale parts, drawings, etc... from Friends models. Nothing from Little Engines in 1" scale or smaller has been available for at least 12 years now. I doubt that most of it will ever be available again. If you need rods then they can be made from solid stock, and it looks like you have most of the stuff that you really need to be able to get it up and running. So whatever this locomotive is, I'd plow ahead with it.

Is it 3/4" scale or 1" scale? I know what the drawing says, but I thought I read 3/4" scale in the other thread or something. Maybe I'm just getting things mixed up.
bushav

Post by bushav »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:39 am Yeah, Doesn't look like LE castings to me. That's actually a good thing, in my opinion. Right now, you can get some 3/4" and 1" scale parts, drawings, etc... from Friends models. Nothing from Little Engines in 1" scale or smaller has been available for at least 12 years now. I doubt that most of it will ever be available again. If you need rods then they can be made from solid stock, and it looks like you have most of the stuff that you really need to be able to get it up and running. So whatever this locomotive is, I'd plow ahead with it.

Is it 3/4" scale or 1" scale? I know what the drawing says, but I thought I read 3/4" scale in the other thread or something. Maybe I'm just getting things mixed up.
There are two projects. One fits on a 4.75" track and one fits on a 3.5" track. So based on my limited and new knowledge I think I have a 1" scale and 3/4" scale. Both in similar stages of construction.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
bushav

Post by bushav »

LVRR2095 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:37 am call John Kurdzionak at Friends as the 1” scale Pacific may not yet be ready to advertise. John has been slowly bringing back the old Yankee Shop designs.
This had necessitated frequently having new patterns made to meet modern foundry requirements. John may have what you need,
I'll do that today. Thanks.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

LVRR2095 wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:37 am call John Kurdzionak at Friends as the 1” scale Pacific may not yet be ready to advertise. John has been slowly bringing back the old Yankee Shop designs.
The 1” Pacific is basically just a stretched Atlantic. At least that’s what the articles in “The Miniature Locomotive” said. Written by Lester Friend himself. I have one of the Atlantics. Bought it from an estate about 18 years ago.

I have a Ridge boiler for it. Dimensionally it’s close to the Little Engines Atlantic in 1” scale.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.