Purchasing 1st project and mystery chassis included

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

bushav

Re: Purchasing 1st project and mystery chassis included

Post by bushav »

4-8-4 (2)_rotated.jpg
4-8-4(3)_rotated.jpg
4-8-4(6)_rotated.jpg
4-8-4(8)_rotated.jpg
4-8-4(9)_rotated.jpg
Box.jpg
I give up on these pictures ;) I rotated them left, right, right, right, left, left etc. and I just can't get them upright. I am so sorry guys. Back to the FAQ's for some more studying. How can I build a locomotive when I can't post a picture you must be saying to yourself.

I purchased the two locomotives today. I'll post pics of the 4-6-2 in a seperate thread once I figure this pic orientation thing out.

The original shipping crate says R.R. Dehoroch; 714 Ainsworth St; Linden, NJ, USA. I looked at google street view and its just the type of immaculate older home you would expect the original owner to have been in during the 60's. Maybe someone knows this guy and can shed some light on this project. I would really like to find out who produced these castings and find some plans for this 3/4" scale locomotive. It is a beautiful project and deserves to be completed. Any help greatly appreciated.

Lane
Last edited by rmac on Thu Aug 25, 2022 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Photo Orientation
New to live steam
Building 3/4” 4-8-4 Northern &
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

Still think there’s a bunch of features like Little Engines Northern. Agree the trailing truck as better shown in the follow up pics is not LE. I’d guess it’s actually for a NYC Hudson, not a Northern. The cylinder block is also not LE.

It does look like a great start. Where’s the OP located?
bushav

Post by bushav »

Mountaineer wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 2:43 pm Still think there’s a bunch of features like Little Engines Northern. Agree the trailing truck as better shown in the follow up pics is not LE. I’d guess it’s actually for a NYC Hudson, not a Northern. The cylinder block is also not LE.

It does look like a great start. Where’s the OP located?
From the pic of the shipping crate the OP was originally in NJ. I've sent an email to the club up there asking if they know any info on project. I guess the OP moved to Florida near Tallahassee and then passed away. His estate sold it to a local Chiroprator who tinkers in antiques. The Chiroprator sold it to a local car collector who has a small "museum". That guys mechanic met me on a flight and mentioned it to me. I had always wanted to build a steam locomotive and so I pulled the trigger. I suppose this story is typical just like the homebuilt airplane hobby, projects pass along until they are trashed or finished.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific
rmac

Post by rmac »

bushav wrote: I give up on these pictures ;) I rotated them left, right, right, right, left, left etc. and I just can't get them upright. I am so sorry guys. Back to the FAQ's for some more studying
Lane,

Picture orientation has been and continues to be a problem with the software that runs this board. Nobody has been able to solve it completely, but there are some hints described here that have worked for some folks. Please take a look at them and see if any of the ideas there help.

In the meantime, I'll fix the pictures that you've posted already.

-- Russell Mac
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

The 4-8-4 looks like it uses castings from Carl Hoffman. He sold castings for a NYC Hudson, but also offered a frame for a 4-8-4. His catalog said the 4-8-4 could be built using the Hudson castings. I believe he started selling castings in the mid-1970s.
bushav

Post by bushav »

Marty_Knox wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 9:51 am The 4-8-4 looks like it uses castings from Carl Hoffman. He sold castings for a NYC Hudson, but also offered a frame for a 4-8-4. His catalog said the 4-8-4 could be built using the Hudson castings. I believe he started selling castings in the mid-1970s.
Great lead! I am emailing Don now.
New to live steam
1” 4-6-2 Pacific