Locomotive Driver Help

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

jrosene

Locomotive Driver Help

Post by jrosene »

I’m in need of some guidance involving small scale locomotive drivers. I’m working on two models of the Jupiter; one in 1:28 scale, based on the Aster Reno. The other is in 1:16 scale, based on the LBSC Virginia. I have a 3D drawing and stl file for the driver and am now evaluating how to go from drawing to physical product. The prototype wheel is 63” in diameter with 14 spokes and no counterweights. An option I’m somewhat familiar with is shapeways bronze infused stainless steel. I’ve gotten several items in this material for Climax drive line parts. It’s great for skew bevel gears, but I don’t know how it would work for spoked drivers. Another option is investment casting in silicon bronze. This seems to be a good choice since the process is widely used for ornamental objects with high detail. Another option of course is cast iron, which I know very little about, but sounds very expensive.

I’d like to hear opinions about these and other options you have experience with.
Gra2472

Re: Locomotive Driver Help

Post by Gra2472 »

If money is no issue, you might want to try xometry or emachineshop.com. I’ve used them before, its expensive but they can do what you need to do.
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

I think Eccentric Engineer did some custom CNC drivers.... might want to reach out.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

If you have the stls, 3D printing in a castable resin and investment casting in silicon bronze is pretty straight forward. I've cast a number of parts for my locomotive using the process. There are photos in this thread -http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... 0&start=96. You can find some explanation of the process there and I'd be glad to answer questions, but don't have the time to help you with castings. It does require a 3D printer and casting equipment, so there is an up front cost. However, since I got a 3D printer and started using it to make investment castings I've changed the way I've looked at creating parts.

One suggestion, if you use silicon bronze for drivers I would suggest you consider steel tires. Silicon bronze is a good bearing material and I suspect the coefficient of friction between it and steel or aluminum rail would not compare favorably to steel.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Or you could cut them with a wire edm like out friend from Germany did...before 3d printing was a viable alternative
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

For the LBSC Virginia…why not just buy the iron driver castings from Reeves in the U.K.?
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

That would be too obvious 🤔
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
jrosene

Post by jrosene »

I love the Virginia and the fact that LBSC designed a fine steamer based on the 4-4-0. In fact, I don’t understand why there aren’t more designs and production models for the locomotive that built this country. To my knowledge, in gauge 1, only Accucraft and Aster have produced this configuration; the former a Baldwin narrow gauge in 1:20.3 scale and the latter a Baldwin standard gauge loco in 1:28 scale. The Virginia is the only other live steam 4-4-0 in a non-ride-on scale. However, the Virginia looks like a crude mashup of narrow and standard gauge and has features of locomotives produced from 1860 through 1930. In an effort to zero in on a specific gauge and era, I’m attempting to alter the frame dimensions, driver diameter, boiler and cab to look more like the Jupiter of Promontory fame. Impractical? Absolutely. Possible? I think so.
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Reeves sells a nice 4-4-0 in 1” scale.
https://www.ajreeves.com/nyc-hr.html
Andy R

Virginia for Locomotive Drivers +

Post by Andy R »

Keith mentioned buying the LBSC Virginia.
I'll second that.
i have two, one started by my Grandfather and finished by my Father, and another that I built. They are completely different. One is the small boiler version and the other the more modern big boiler version. You can use the basic LBSC design to model almost any 4-4-0 without "reinventing the wheel".
Regards,
Andy
jrosene

Post by jrosene »

Thanks Andy. What you suggest is exactly what I’m doing: taking a built up Virginia and modifying it to more closely resemble the Jupiter.
jrosene

Post by jrosene »

Dick, you offer excellent advice regarding bronze wheels and steel tires. Something I hadn’t thought of.