Mystery Chassis.

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

David Powell

Mystery Chassis.

Post by David Powell »

As discount on a deal I recently did buying a Mill Drill on behalf of a friend I obtained a box of castings and parts which looked very much as if they were intended for a " Hoffman Hudson". Some time later the vendor rang me and said he had found the frame and drawings. When I went to collect them I was surprised to see that the frame, alhough cast brsss as I rather expected was
for a 4- 4- 4- loco and NOT a 4-6-4-. The frames have NOT been cut and shortened but are as cast.
I cannot see any names on the frame The drawings are for a " Hoffman Hudson"
I can only guess that the are for a Jubilee class loco The puzzle is , who made the castings and when?
Does anyone have any knowledge about this curiousity?
Regards David Powell.
Carrdo

Re: Mystery Chassis.

Post by Carrdo »

That is what I would guess they were for also, a Canadian Pacific Jubilee locomotive. The only one I ever ran across was the one being constructed by Bill Dykeman of York Central Railway in PEI but that was 7-1/4" gauge.
Mountaineer

Post by Mountaineer »

There’s at least one 7.5” gauge Jubilee under construction in western Canada.
backyardrails

Post by backyardrails »

100_7444.JPG
This one is 3'4" CPR Jubilee. It was my Dad's favourite. I still run it on my track.
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Ernie Allen, of New Westminster, B.C., now deceased, built a Jubilee in 1½" scale 7½" gauge back in the 80's. He operated it regularly at the track in Burnaby and visited numerous tracks both in Canada and the US. He started construction when he was 79 years old. Susan and I met him in '89 at the Pacific Northwest Live Steamers when we attended a meet. We became fast friends and enjoyed his company at various meets until he could no longer operate his engine. It was given to a museum, but subsequently sold to a live steamer in B.C., Canada. I have no idea where it is now.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I finally found my 1977 C.A.Hoffman catalog. After the list of Hudson parts he shows frames for 4-8-4 "Northern" and frames for
"Atlantic" 4-4-2 or 4-4-4. Both are listed as cast brass. There is a note that says 'There are no separate drawings for either the 4-8-4, 4-4-2, or 4-4-4.All applicable dimensions can be determined from the particular frames and the "Hudson" drawings.'
SteveR

Post by SteveR »

For those of us who don't know who Hoffman is, IBLS has a nice page with links: http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Carl_Hoffman.

SteveR
12x36 Enco Lathe, 9x42 Bridgeport, SMAW, O/A, Miller MIG w/gas, plasma
Not enough measuring tools...
1.5" Allen Models Consolidation on air.
1" FEF in progress
1" & 3/4" LE Projects
Measure twice, cut once, wait - it was supposed to be brass! :)
David Powell

Post by David Powell »

Thankyou all for your interesting comments. Regards David Powell