Locomotive Color

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

SCBryan

Locomotive Color

Post by SCBryan »

In painting a steam locomotive, is it best to use a satin or gloss? I have painted some pieces on my project with gloss black and others with satin black. The gloss looks good but the satin looks more like an engine that has been in use for a while and not freshly outshopped. Your thoughts?

Steve
Steam Engine Dan

Re: Locomotive Color

Post by Steam Engine Dan »

depends on what you want. if you want a shiny glossy locomotive that came fresh out of the shops. gloss is great. but if you want clean but still workaday like. then satin is really the best. ours is satin black on the boiler jacket, cab and tender. the smokebox is bill hirsch high temp space age black. all the lead truck wheels, drivers, trailing truck and tender truck wheels are all satin with white wall trim. we have a high standard of cleanliness that we always try to live up to :D :wink:
Attachments
IMG_0359.jpg
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I always will paint with gloss, it cleans up better,, it will fade naturally
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

I like stainless wrappers...but prefer the gloss for the rest of it and the tender. Painting one right now..
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Glenn Brooks

Post by Glenn Brooks »

When I had my loco powder coated, I learned there are literally 90 shades of black. All represent a different % of color. Also: Gloss black in most paint formulations is usually the most Impervious to dirt/grime penetration, and cleans up better, but doesn’t last as long as matt. And Coal dust plays havoc on most all glossy paint.

I like to paint my locomotive smoke box engine enamel grey. Because it’s a coal burner, Every season or two I have to scrub it (smokebox and stack) off and repaint. I usually wash and wax my boiler jacket. The wax brings out the shine and makes it look almost new again.

Also, generally, I’m not much of a fan of end of life, depression era, non maintained, paint schemes. So I prefer my locos to look like the real ones did when in-top of-the-line revenue service.

Glenn
Moderator - Grand Scale Forum

Motive power : 1902 A.S.Campbell 4-4-0 American - 12 5/8" gauge, 1955 Ottaway 4-4-0 American 12" gauge

Ahaha, Retirement: the good life - drifting endlessly on a Sea of projects....
SCBryan

Post by SCBryan »

Thanks everyone for the input.

Steve