Actual Liquid Propane Burner System

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Bill Shields

Re: Actual Liquid Propane Burner System

Post by Bill Shields »

Really nice.

Have a picture at what you think will be full operating pressure?

I seem to remember this from the past...but my memory is terrible.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

i was just looking thought the pictures and i am not seeing any at full tilt boogie. as with any, i had to make changes as i tested the burner but i do not have any of the final testing. here is the result tho
Attachments
20220507_123920.jpg
20220507_105001.jpg
20220506_150616.jpg
20220723_131932.jpg
20220704_133818.jpg
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
bobrauper

Post by bobrauper »

Hi Folks,
Well, Thank You all for the input. So far though, I don't see a specific set of recommendations coming forth at this time. I'll wait to see if someone reads my query who may have more specific knowledge of what I've got. I won't scarp anything yet, but I'm going to have to make a decision fairly soon.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Without knowledgeable recommendations, try some experimentation to determine what works.
I think you can make it work.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Any pictures possible of the business end of the burner?
bobrauper

Post by bobrauper »

Hello Folks,
Thank you all for your input to date. The burner system I have utilizes one 7/8" dia. tube, 6" long. It's slotted only on the bottom firing down into a refractive coating in a sealed "pan". There is no secondary air provided. My query is: what regulator do I need for a liquid only system, i.e. one that delivers liquid directly through a small needle valve to a small expansion chamber in front of the 7/8" burner tube. In addition to that question, is there any other detail regarding this type of specific system that I should know about. I'm looking for someone who has experience with such a system and can offer me a proven design based on what I have currently in my hands. I do not have enough knowledge of propane systems to just start experimenting. Propane is not something I want to "play" around with if I don't have knowledge of the system I am trying to complete. If I can't find the information I need, I'll just scarp the burner system and use a traditional manifold/rosebud style burner. Thanks again for all your help!
bobrauper

Post by bobrauper »

Hello Mr. Shields,
I'm not particularly cell phone savvy, so I'll see if I can find a way to provide a picture of the burner system. I am hoping from my description that someone who has experience with such a system will recognize my description and be able to offer help. Thank you personally for your input, both to my query here and to all the others whom you have offered advice to over the years on the Home Shop Machinist. I respect your advice...
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Bob:
Where are you located? It is not shown in your postings.
Perhaps a person local to you can help more directly.
I have participated in several such adventures.
RussN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

in my limited searching, I am not finding any regulator that will work with a full liquids system. my understanding, pressure and or temp is required to maintain a liquid form. as I see it, the system will require full tank pressure in order to maintain liquid all the way to the needle valve.
if you are not interested in "playing" moving to a more common gas system.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Bob D.

Post by Bob D. »

A lot of industrial propane fueled combustion engines are liquid LP setups.
I would think this would work fine for you. Just an example I pulled up on line.
https://www.bestmaterials.com/detail.aspx?ID=8878
3/4" Juliet II 0-4-0
3/4" Purinton Mogul "Pogo"
3/4" Hall Class 10 wheeler
3/4" Evans Caribou/Buffalo 2-8-0
3/4" Sweet Violet 0-4-0
3/4" Hunslet 4-6-0
3/4" Kozo A3. Delayed construction project

1 1/2" A5 Camelback 0-4-0
bobrauper

Post by bobrauper »

To NP317: I'm in Tempe, AZ and am a member of Maricopa Live Steamers
To Bob D: I think that you may be leading me in the right direction. Fork trucks use liquid propane up to the engine. and there must be a regulator on that system. You have pointed me to that web page with the regulator which is clearly for liquid propane. It may be that all I really need is that regulator, gauge, hose and adaptors to fit the burner needle valve. That's a system I can see working with this burner setup. I need to "sniff" around a little more to see how the fork truck world handles the liquid propane from the tank to the engine.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

AND A TANK specifically designed to dispense liquid....which is basically a FORK TRUCK TANK -> not a BBQ Grill tank.

Yes, you can get away with a BBQ GRILL tank upside down (valve at the bottom) for testing, but should not operate that way in the real world.

NOTE:

the rated flow for that regulator is 3-5 GPH....

unless you have a very large burner, you are going to be much below that rating -> so do not be surprised if the pressures do not hold true...