Do you guys check off parts on your drawings/book as you do them?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

shild

Do you guys check off parts on your drawings/book as you do them?

Post by shild »

Trying to be organized as I do this. Have been finding myself looking through the book saying "Oh yeah, already did that part" or "already have that part" a bit too much. Do you guys check them off as you make the parts or find the parts? Or perhaps put an X through optional parts you don't plan to do? Maybe you have one colored check mark when you have the stock for it and another once you actually finish it? Looking for suggestions on this.
Dick_Morris

Re: Do you guys check off parts on your drawings/book as you do them?

Post by Dick_Morris »

No, but when I occasionally go through the collection of completed parts I am sometimes pleasantly surprised to find that a part is already done.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Yes ..with a date...have similar problem to 'finding' parts already completed.

If I am working from drawings I created ..I have two filing sections...one is marked DONE. It is also a note that I put in the title box section of my CAD system drawing.

where the part is...well -> it is up to the Venutians -> they are the ETs that reach down from space and curiously grab things for inspection.

When they are finished 'inspecting' (sometimes minutes -> sometimes days) they always put the part back -> but not always in the same location from which they took it.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

What drawings?

Small parts go in turkey tubs, the containers from Wife's lunchmeat. But that doesn't mean I'll remember what those little thingies are for.

I don't have a problem with Venutians, but I do have an evil shop goddess who comes in at night and messes things up. I also have a well-organized parts department where hardware, electrical and plumbing parts are kept, but that doesn't stop me from making a trip to the hardware store and buying something I already have. Just did that with some cabinet latches. Bought three, already had four.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
shild

Post by shild »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 8:46 pm Yes ..with a date...have similar problem to 'finding' parts already completed.

If I am working from drawings I created ..I have two filing sections...one is marked DONE. It is also a note that I put in the title box section of my CAD system drawing.

where the part is...well -> it is up to the Venutians -> they are the ETs that reach down from space and curiously grab things for inspection.

When they are finished 'inspecting' (sometimes minutes -> sometimes days) they always put the part back -> but not always in the same location from which they took it.
Lol. The ETs might have left a part in a box I dedicated to automotive tools once. Seeing the word "Done" as you flip through your book or drawing is encouraging isn't it?
shild

Post by shild »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:05 pm What drawings?

Small parts go in turkey tubs, the containers from Wife's lunchmeat. But that doesn't mean I'll remember what those little thingies are for.

I don't have a problem with Venutians, but I do have an evil shop goddess who comes in at night and messes things up. I also have a well-organized parts department where hardware, electrical and plumbing parts are kept, but that doesn't stop me from making a trip to the hardware store and buying something I already have. Just did that with some cabinet latches. Bought three, already had four.
What drawings? I'm doing a Raritan 3/4" and have the book. Yes, I guess there are enough little washers, spacers, nuts, screws and pins that I might forget what each is for if I can't put them on the Loco or tender right away.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

I do mark the drawings with date completed, time consumed, and notes for future reference, especially if alterations to the part were made.
It is instructive to add up the machining and fabrication time. You might be amazed how much time it takes to build your locomotives.
RussN
shild

Post by shild »

NP317 wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 11:31 pm I do mark the drawings with date completed, time consumed, and notes for future reference, especially if alterations to the part were made.
It is instructive to add up the machining and fabrication time. You might be amazed how much time it takes to build your locomotives.
RussN
Yeah. Could be amazed and depressed about it if I add up all the machining and fabrication time. But guess that helps you learn if one method is faster than another.
Builder01

Post by Builder01 »

I don't understand why you would be depressed about time spent building a locomotive. I consider it a necessary thing. At least you have something to show for your work at the end of the day. With many hobbies you end up with nothing tangible.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Mon Aug 01, 2022 9:05 pm What drawings?

sometimes it is just easier to go get what you need rather than look for hours and HOPE you can find it. My father in law and brother in law used to work for a fastener / power transmission house. I am willing to bet the most everything I will ever need is burined in the 40' x 120' Quonset hut at the other end of the farm -> but often not worth my time to go and dig for anything except threaded rod, coupling nuts and keystock...which are all stacked up in one corner...

When I started on my current loco project, i started keeping a daily log (spreadsheet) of what i did and time.

More than anything else, it lets me those gaps (in some cases MONTHS) when I did nothing on the project.

It also helps me point out to 'newbees' who think that they can build a loco from 'knowing nothing to running' in a year or so....
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Andy R

check off parts as you do them?

Post by Andy R »

I make spreadsheets ... It is a bit daunting at first but as stuff is made (and re-made) it is encouraging to see how far the projects are progressing.
It is sort of why "build logs" are on this site.
milwiron

Post by milwiron »

Good to have you back Shild.
I can pretty much remember what I've made.
When I make "scale" nuts and bolts everything goes in a compartmented parts box. Small parts, pins and bearings that are done go in labeled zip lock bags. Large finished parts end up everywhere. I take pictures and print out copies of blueprints that I want to mark up to keep the originals clean.
The only lists I make are for various nuts and bolts I need to make.
The one thing I constantly lose and spend many accumulated hours looking for is my 6 inch scale.
Denny
"Measure twice, curse once."