Do you guys check off parts on your drawings/book as you do them?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Greg_Lewis

Re: Do you guys check off parts on your drawings/book as you do them?

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Bill Shields wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 10:14 am ....
sometimes it is just easier to go get what you need rather than look for hours and HOPE you can find it....

The cabinet latches I already had were right on top, in plain sight, in the cabinet fittings drawer.

milwiron wrote: Tue Aug 02, 2022 11:54 am ....
The one thing I constantly lose and spend many accumulated hours looking for is my 6 inch scale.

It's that evil shop genie again. I once spent hours looking for some drawings and the evil shop genie had taken them and then when I wasn't looking replaced them right on the workbench in plain sight where I had originally put them.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I have bought more small tools and hardware items because I couldn't find the ones I knew I had than one can believe.

I'm of two minds on having two of something. With two, you stand twice the chance of finding one. With two you have twice the chance of not finding one.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Tools!
I purchases 4 six-inch scales at the same time.
They are strategically placed where needed, so when I lose one, I find the other one that was previously lost.
Works perfectly.
RussN
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Ever consider a GPS tracker?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

My mom used to say, "Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most."
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

I scanned my plan sheets (24" x 36") and then cut/pasted the image of each individual part and put it on a separate page in a word document. That way, I can print out just the diagram I need to take into the shop and the rest remain printed in a binder for easy reference if necessary. As I complete them, I mark the index I made listing each part.
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

I make model engines, they have a lot less parts that a locomotive and take less than a year to complete so is not a matter of forgetting but just being organized and a bit OCD. For each project I have a spreadsheet one page is a BOM where all parts are listed with the dimensions of the material blank needed and the material type of course. It includes any item that need to be purchased, the source, the price and the link. The idea is to conglomerate into less shipping charges. One column list whether the blank/item is on hand. One column lists the date the item was completed.
Other sheets resolve the typical geometry problem of extracting useful machining dimension from drawing dimensioned by someone with a CAD that never machined anything or is too lazy to give the right dimension in the right place to a measurable feature.

Also documenting any modification or alternate design

I also cut up the drawing into single detail and paste it on a standard sheet to be stored in a 3 ring binder. I did not think of scanning and forming a soft copy but is an idea I will steal for the next project.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
shild

Post by shild »

Thanks for the replies everyone!