Check those trailer tires....

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

NP317

Re: Check those trailer tires....

Post by NP317 »

FrayJo wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 11:37 pm Consider utilizing a light truck tire rather than a "trailer tire." As much as possible, check the tire pressure.
That is the solution I settled on. The truck tires far outlast "trailer" tires.
RussN
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:20 pm Good idea, Carl. (I'll bet you also save the little plastic clips that close the bags on loaves of bread, right? Margarine tubs? :P )

At this point, therefore, I had mismatched tires all around so after the spare was on I headed into the nearby small town, which luckily had a good tire shop, and replaced the whole set. (When I was young, stupid, and poor, I'd buy used tires and run them bald. Now that I'm old and still stupid but not poor I don't screw around with things that are safety related.)
Greg... no need to consider yourself "stupid"...now or then. Just chalk that up to the V.O.E....Voice of Experience! :lol: Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Looking for a used 14 foot enclosed trailer with swing open doors.....man, they're impossible to find
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

Are you recommending light truck tires because of the frequent low quality of a trailer tire or is a light truck tire still better than a quality trailer tire?
hoppercar wrote: Tue Jul 05, 2022 9:56 pm Looking for a used 14 foot enclosed trailer with swing open doors.....man, they're impossible to find
I looked briefly for one a few years ago. They were either pretty well whipped or near the price of new with a ramp door. I ended up buying a new 6' x 14'.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Today when picking up my truck from the mechanic after an oil change, we ended up chatting about trailer tires. He said he buys the cheapest ones he can find and then scraps them out after two years regardless of use. He says he'd rather not take chances or try to keep track of the lifespan of tires. Considering the value of the trailer and its contents it is something to think about. Perhaps he's a little too conservative and three or even four years would also be OK.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Almost positive the rating standards, regulations etc for "light truck" tires are higher than trailer tires. Ofc the truck tires are more expensive but likely better built and should last longer unless improper inflation or lots of uv damage.
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

We had a chat about truck tires on trailers last year. Check post #26 here:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... es#p435768
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

most Manufacturers recommend trailer tires be replaced after 5 years. I just put 3 new ones on my camper because they were about that age. Why only 3? The fourth one was replaced last summer after it got cut and failed while going down the interstate. I did take the best of the 3 older tires and put it on another rim to use as a spare for some of our farm trailers. Not as worried about those, and it will make a good spare.

If you typically aren't going to go more than 30 miles away from home with your trailer, you're usually a little more willing to stretch your tire life. When you are going to be going hundreds of miles away from home, I don't like to take chances. I also typically take 2 spares with me when I'm going out of state.
Steamin

Post by Steamin »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:39 am ... take 2 spares with me ...
++1 vote for this advice--if you have a two axle trailer, take two spares --I've had one tire fail and the flailing tread wiped out the stem of the other good one, resulting in two flats!
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Greg_Lewis wrote: Wed Jul 06, 2022 9:33 pm We had a chat about truck tires on trailers last year. Check post #26 here:
http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... es#p435768
Page 2 of that post, yes.
LT tires of the proper weight rating will serve you much better. Car and light truck tires have much more rigorous testing to get DOT approved than a trailer tire. Even if you have 14” rims, they make them for the Mitsubishi cube vans and Toyota dolphin motor homes in adequate load ratings and many makes of these actually have 5 star reviews from users putting them on trailers.
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

Steamin wrote: Fri Jul 08, 2022 9:19 am
Pontiacguy1 wrote: Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:39 am ... take 2 spares with me ...
++1 vote for this advice--if you have a two axle trailer, take two spares --I've had one tire fail and the flailing tread wiped out the stem of the other good one, resulting in two flats!
Indeed, just happened to my uncle, piece of the front tire wedged in between the rear tire and frame and wiped out the sidewall.
lrdg2150

Post by lrdg2150 »

With all the talk about trailer tires you better check the valve stems as well. I had two new unused tires still with the paper tag on them where the valve stems fell apart in three years. I wouldn't be surprised if it happened on the same day.
Just saying
John