GG1

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

GG1

Post by hoppercar »

After building a few steam locomotives in 1 1/2 scale and numerous cars....I've been thinking for a while about a new project....if I ever strayed from the path of steam, ..everyone has there favorite diesel or electric locomotive....for me, that would be, without a doubt...the pennsy gg1. ...watched several videos at mill creek, showing someone's master craftsmanship of a gg1.....would like to reach out and ask around, if anyone knows the builder....is the body on this loco, sheet metal work?....I always thought about making a master fiberglass mold ???....thanks...
Bill Shields

Re: GG1

Post by Bill Shields »

The GG1 models that I have seen (one a regular at PLS) have all had fiberglass shells.

I cannot say if this loco made it to mill creek or not .have not seen the videos to which you alluded.

I have several rolls of film (slides actually) taken of the entire fleet of GG1s parked on a siding in edgemoor de as they were being hauled off to the scrap yard in the late 1970s or early 1980s (have to dig them out to check the dates).
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Pat Fahey

Post by Pat Fahey »

Hi Bill
I remember one of our Annual meets at Norfolk St in Holliston, Mass, someone brought up a GG-1 in either three quarter scale or one inch scale. George Dimond being George would not allow the person to run the locomotive on the Hi-line.
The person who built the locomotive did an excellent job, on the locomotive, which was battery powered.
There also was another person brought up a set of Pennsylvania DD-1's at the old track. The builder did such a beautiful job, on the locomotives George broke down an let him run. As for the person that had the GG-1, he also got his turn running at the old Waushakum track at Norfolk, st. Pat.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Pron baby the same fellow.. sat on the loco. At PLS everything is ground line so it matters not.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Joe Tanski

Post by Joe Tanski »

George lords One inch gg1 now lives in Eden NY this is the one that ran a PLS for years on the ground one inch track with George sitting on top of it runs once in a while on our high line,been repainted in Pennsylvania colors ,owner building a ground 1” multi gauge ground track to run it on
Joe
LVRR2095

Post by LVRR2095 »

Pat Fahey wrote: Sun Jun 26, 2022 7:22 am Hi Bill
I remember one of our Annual meets at Norfolk St in Holliston, Mass, someone brought up a GG-1 in either three quarter scale or one inch scale. George Dimond being George would not allow the person to run the locomotive on the Hi-line.
The person who built the locomotive did an excellent job, on the locomotive, which was battery powered.
There also was another person brought up a set of Pennsylvania DD-1's at the old track. The builder did such a beautiful job, on the locomotives George broke down an let him run. As for the person that had the GG-1, he also got his turn running at the old Waushakum track at Norfolk, st. Pat.
As I remember….the DD-1 was built by Ken Parkinson. I believe it was written up in Live Steam magazine back in the 1970’s.
It was a beautiful model.

Keith Taylor
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

You might want to check out this thread, which discusses various ideas: viewtopic.php?f=33&t=101535&hilit
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

I believe the GG-1 that you saw in the videos is Dave Taylor's. It is made in sheet metal.
Dave owns a body shop here in Michigan.
jscarmozza

Post by jscarmozza »

Hoppercar, I bought a 1" GG-1 project about 12 years ago that started at NJLS,went out to PA and came back to NJ; I worked on it for about 10 years and sold it to a fellow member at NJLS. The GG-1 body is a deceptively difficult shape to form correctly, and getting the wheels to look right will take a master pattern maker to make. The project I bought came with a rough fabricated steel chassis with12 motors a cast iron body, a fiberglass mold and casting pattern for the wheels. I didn't use the cast iron body or fiberglass mold, rather I used the cast iron body as a mold to hammer out a sheet steel body. Attached is a photo of the rough body before grinding and leading the body, there is also a photo of the cast iron body. I'm not trying to discourage you but everything about this engine, the body, wheels, doors, windows, louvers, pantographs, etc. are difficult to make correctly. I sold it because I couldn't make the finished details fine enough to look correct, the new owner is a 3D printer and should be able to bring the engine over the finish line.
Attachments
Sheet steel body
Sheet steel body
cast iron body
cast iron body