Baldwin Formulas

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Baldwin Formulas

Post by Dick_Morris »

This link to a book of design formulas used by Baldwin was posted on another site. It looks like it dates to around 1900 with some inserted material dating a few years later.

https://digitalcollections.smu.edu/digi ... wy/id/3737
Greg_Lewis

Re: Baldwin Formulas

Post by Greg_Lewis »

Thanks. Just downloaded it and will take a closer look later. I note some drawings — the quality of engineering drawings of that era always amazes me. No "undo" then, when inking, you had to get it right the first time. They are artworks in themselves.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.
Fender

Post by Fender »

One has to skip down to about page 35 to see the actual formulas. All sorts of engineering tables and calculations for sizes of spring leaves, piston rods, wrist pins, etc. Also interesting is that page 125 is stamped "Collection of C.W. Witbeck". Witbeck was a photographer and railfan who retrieved (I believe in the early 1950s) much of the material from the Baldwin Locomotive Works in Philadelphia that ended up in the SMU Library collection, which otherwise would have been lost.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

I noted the quality of drawings as well. A melding of art and engineering.

One page that I noticed covered arch bar trucks. I'll have to look at that one more closely.