K-36 / 37 Lead Truck Part Drawings

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Berkman

Re: K-36 / 37 Lead Truck Part Drawings

Post by Berkman »

Correct, but just because the designs are the same, still doesn't mean the dimensions are the same. I mean maybe they are but it'd be safer to bet they aren't.

There are so many locomotive design parts that look the same, or are the same design but the dimensions tweaked a bit.
davidqueener

Re: K-36 / 37 Lead Truck Part Drawings

Post by davidqueener »

Right. If only the part drawings for the Uintah mallets still existed or the locomotives themselves. One of the obvious differences on the trucks was the size of wheel used: 26" on the mallet; 28" on the K-36/37. There is also a difference in the way the Bissel post was constructed or sized between the two locomotives, which is apparent from a close study of the Uintah elevation and section drawings. So there you have it. From a model-maker's perspective, the K-36/37 frame looks right and gives the correct visual effect, but it too needs to be tweaked. Those heart shaped rockers would never allow enough swing for a 2.5" scale live steam model of either locomotive. In 1:20th scale, lead and trailing trucks usually just go along for the ride anyhow without any connection to the model's suspension. I suppose it could be done, just not by me :)
Pastor, St. Paul Presbyterian Church
www.StPaulPres.com (865) 209-5654

Owner, Cumberland Model Engineering
www.CumberlandModelEngineering.com (865) 947-7935