Diffuser

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

hoppercar

Diffuser

Post by hoppercar »

I have a couple superscale injector water overflow difussers....when these are mounted, should the water spill out lengthwise on the rail....or should it be mounted, so it spills on either side of the rail ?..looking for a picture of how the railroads did it?....or does it really matter ?
Tom Miller

Re: Difusser

Post by Tom Miller »

It should be mounted perpendicular to the rail.
ccvstmr

Post by ccvstmr »

hoppercar wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 11:21 am I have a couple superscale injector water overflow difussers....when these are mounted, should the water spill out lengthwise on the rail....or should it be mounted, so it spills on either side of the rail ?..looking for a picture of how the railroads did it?....or does it really matter ?
Hoppercar...would agree. Arrange diffuser so you're not dumping water on the rail. Your fellow steamers will appreciate that. The same is true for water glass blow down drains and anything else looking to drain water/steam. Just saying... Carl B.
Life is like a sewer...what you get out of it depends on what you put into it!
I don't walk on water...I just learned where some of the stepping stones are!
I love mankind...it's some of the people I can't stand!
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

MANY railroads did NOT install diffusers on their injectors - whether in lifting or non lifting position. But agree on arranging it so it doesn't dump water on the rail. What prototype are you modeling? Can always take a look at the real thing and see how your prototype/railroad plumbed it
Bill Shields

Re: Diffusser

Post by Bill Shields »

Respect the track and your fellow enthusiasts :mrgreen:

Same for blowdiwn valves...which should not be pointed out into your neighbor's loco or toolbox.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
hoppercar

Re: Diffuser

Post by hoppercar »

Cylinder drains though......rolling engine back and forth on the steaming bay, after shutting down and pushing water out of the cylinders....I have wetted down a few pairs of pants from onlookers....lol
NP317

Re: Diffuser

Post by NP317 »

Mount the diffuser like in the attached photo.
RussN
317 FMan side.JPG