Steam loco wishlist (If only)!

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

PRR5406

Re: Steam loco wishlist (If only)!

Post by PRR5406 »

Definately the Selkirk and AT&SF 2-10-4. I stood next to a survivor of both engines and of course, they're awe inspiring. The Santa Fe 2-10-4 at Green Bay is so gargantuan, it evokes the thought of tremors in your legs as it passes. Honestly, a double-header of these locomotive must have summoned earthquakes.

The most beloved CNR X10T is one I truly want to see in person. I have a huge file of photos and drawings of these locomotives. Who want to take on drawing them up for 1.6" scale? The copper boiler is a thing of beauty in its own right.

Let's hear of further wished locomotives!
"Always stopping my train, and risking my ankles, with American made, New Balance sneakers."
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

tsph6500 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 5:42 pm
PRR5406 wrote: Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:46 am The CNR 4-6-4T was fairly small, but the compact design made them perfectly useful for tight radii, economical to operate, and easy to transport. They were bi-directional and could handle short trains with speed. Just beautiful lookers and distinctly Canadian.
I have CNR X-10 No. 46 in 3/4" scale, built by my grandfather in the 1940s. I believe it is the only example of that type ever built as a livesteamer.

It ran at Danvers MA and the Lachine track in Montreal.
I'm not quite so sure that yours is the only X-10 inspired loco-

https://flic.kr/p/GXMfBA

(There are a pair of videos there too, dad conveniently decided to run for an extra hour, left me a bit shy on fire, but the trees made up for it...)

Though "inspired by" is probably a far better way to describe it than an X-10. Similarly, there is a Britannia chassis made up as a tank engine in the Toronto area- it's reputed to be a bit of a shy steamer, as the boiler is somewhat smaller than mine.

James
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

James Powell wrote: Thu Apr 21, 2022 8:53 am I'm not quite so sure that yours is the only X-10 inspired loco-

https://flic.kr/p/GXMfBA

(There are a pair of videos there too, dad conveniently decided to run for an extra hour, left me a bit shy on fire, but the trees made up for it...)

Though "inspired by" is probably a far better way to describe it than an X-10. Similarly, there is a Britannia chassis made up as a tank engine in the Toronto area- it's reputed to be a bit of a shy steamer, as the boiler is somewhat smaller than mine.

James
Hi James,

I see one photo of your dad running something at the Frontenac track but it is hard to distinguish what it is from that angle and lacks any cab or tank.

No related video, it would be interesting to see if you can post a link to it.
Last edited by tsph6500 on Fri Apr 22, 2022 7:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman
JKreider

Post by JKreider »

A small, big engine - NKP 2-8-4!

Jim Kreider
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

A C&O Allegheny, but in 15" gauge , 1/4 scale.

Nyle
datman

Post by datman »

Very interesting original boiler design!! Would love to know some theory on that.
tsph6500 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:43 pm
PRR5406 wrote: Mon Apr 18, 2022 9:13 am Is it operable today? I'd like to see pictures of the locomotive, no matter the condition. I suppose it's too much to ask in the original drawings for his locomotive are in your possession?
(1) I have built a brand new copper boiler for it as it came into my possession with an odd water tube boiler (not original) under the guidance of Keith Wood. I am fitting it along with a new throttle. The chassis runs well on air.

(2) Neither of my grandfathers spent time drafting out complete drawings. Shop sketches were about it if anything. This was quite common in the early days of the hobby if you were not building a commercial design.

(3) I have an album about this locomotive on Facebook if you are interested.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 022&type=3
tsph6500

Post by tsph6500 »

datman wrote: Mon Apr 25, 2022 6:26 am Very interesting original boiler design!! Would love to know some theory on that.
The original boiler was a traditional firetube locomotive design. Somewhere in its life, that was replaced by the water tube boiler but never completed to operational condition.

I have photos of it but that should be posted as a different thread.
Best regards,
Jim Leggett

Montreal Live Steamers
www.montreallivesteamers.org

A Founding Member of the Tinkerbell Scale Society - Northern Division
I'm an A.R.S.E. (Association of Railroad Steam Engineers)
Toad Swamp & Punk Hollow Railroad - Head Tycoon
The Juvenile Traction Company - CEO & Apprentice Machinist 3rd Class
White Mountain Central RR - Engineer & Fireman