Lathe size

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

RET

Re: Lathe size

Post by RET »

Hi,

Two things.

First, any time you push a machine close to its dimensional limits (such as the lathe you are asking about), you are likely to get chatter and poor finish because the stiffness and rigidity just aren't there. What also contributes a lot is the fact that you may have to hang the tool bit out on a long extension to get the cut you want. Under these conditions, any interrupted cuts you may need to do just makes things a lot worse. In machine tools, stiffness and rigidity play a very large part. Also, cast iron has very good self lubrication and damping properties. There is no real substitute for mass in the right places.
I'm prejudiced, but while they are not a really heavy machine as machine tools go, South Bend lathes are a very good example of putting material in the right place to serve this purpose.

Second, if you have a dial indicator that reads in thousandths or finer and that has a magnetic base, put it on the vise of your mill with the dial indicator resting on the column. Grab hold of the vise and try to move it front & back and left and right. Put the indicator on the front and also the side of the column in separate tests. In either case, if the indicator needle moves at all, you have slop in the ways or screw mountings and this needs to be removed for best accuracy.

I also made a rotary headstock for the little mill and I've found it to be a very useful addition to the mill's capabilities. You can see it in use in the thread on the couplers and in making the power reverse parts. Since the lathe I have is a 13" South Bend with 2C collets, I made the headstock to fit them. I find collets to be very useful for fast and repetitive work and their accuracy is good enough for most things.
Big Boy Numberplatea.jpg
This picture shows the 4004 numberplate in place on the front of Big Boy. If you look closely, you can see the 4014 numberplate lying on the top left side next to the left hand compressor air cooler.

Hope this helps a bit.

Richard Trounce.
tornitore45

Post by tornitore45 »

My lathe has 6 belt speeds 3 sheeves and a choice of direct drive from the motor pulley, or drive from the reduced counter shaft.
Since I installed the VFD 95% of my turning is done between two pulleys. Basically, the middle sheeve of direct drive or from the countershaft.
Occasionally the required power demand the motor run near nominal RPM and selecting one of the 6 belt positions for the appropriate spindle speed.
In other words, the VFD will eliminate most of the belt changes but be ready to change belt at the edges of the envelope when needed.
Mauro Gaetano
in Austin TX
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

agreed -> I have yet to see a retro-fitted VFD at low RPM that can equal what is needed in LOW BACK GEAR with a standard motor...
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Gra2472

Post by Gra2472 »

Hi guys, let me say that I really love all of the knowledge and passion from you guys on this subject. Really, thanks for sharing. I know that I will be looking back on this discussion for guidance. No joke there. I have a lot to think about when choosing a lathe. Far more than I expected.

As for my little mill, its pretty tight, but I did’t think about shoving the table around my hand to find the slop. That’s one of those “why didn’t I think of that” moments. I’ve got a long ways to go, but I am making progress.

I don’t think that I will ever build anything as spectacular as a Big Boy, but I might reach for a shay since thats what I know best. Here’s to the future gentlemen. If you’re at Train Mountain this summer, please come say hello. We are at C4 (how fitting?).

G
7.5" Allen Mogul
3 x 7.5" West Valley Baldwin Westinghouse Electrics
The railroad is almost done.
G. Augustus
Monte Rio, Ca.