Couplers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Steggy

Re: Couplers

Post by Steggy »

Asteamhead wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 4:54 pm Country singer Tom T. Hall had it, when he once sang "When gas was 30 cents a gallon ..."

I'm old enough to recall when a dollar’s worth of gas got me around all week, and I was being extravagant if I spent five dollars on a date.

Of course, in those days, a decent wage for a full-time employee was $3.00 per hour, with no benefits. The kind of work an average high school student would perform paid much less. My first job was stocking shelves at an A&P supermarket, which paid $1.25 per hour. I worked two hours in the evening after school and six hours on Saturday. My weekly income before taxes was a whopping $20.00.

That said, recent government policies have substantially accelerated the rate of inflation, and right now a dollar is hardly worth anything. It definitely won't get you around all week. :cry:
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

"It's not more costly over the years than for example skiing"
When someone asks me what a steam locomotive costs I tell it costs as much a a boat. Of course, like locomotives, boats cover a wide price range and good luck or sweat equity can make them a lot more affordable.

However, one instance of inflation caught me today. I bought a pound of aluminum TIG rod. $25!
Fender

Post by Fender »

I think that modern-day modelers are very complacent. When looking at what live steamers built in the 1930s and 1940s, and considering what they had to work with, is very startling! Admittedly, most locos were 1/2” or 3/4” scale. No laser cutting, no milling machines, and the lucky people had access to a 9” lathe! Most everything was made by hand with files and hacksaws.
I think our expectations have grown significantly over the years, but there is no doubt in my mind that the dedicated modeler can still accomplish a lot on a limited budget, by substituting their time, energy and ingenuity for expensive materials.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
pat1027

Post by pat1027 »

On top of increased foundry demand the cost of pig iron is up over 50% this year and over double what it was a couple years ago. Russia and Ukraine are large pig suppliers and their material is off the world market. The large U.S. foundries are out trying to buy all the pig iron they can get their hands on. Magnesium ferrosilicon are also also in short supply.
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Fender wrote: Wed Mar 30, 2022 8:16 pm I think that modern-day modelers are very complacent. When looking at what live steamers built in the 1930s and 1940s, and considering what they had to work with, is very startling! Admittedly, most locos were 1/2” or 3/4” scale. No laser cutting, no milling machines, and the lucky people had access to a 9” lathe! Most everything was made by hand with files and hacksaws.
I think our expectations have grown significantly over the years, but there is no doubt in my mind that the dedicated modeler can still accomplish a lot on a limited budget, by substituting their time, energy and ingenuity for expensive materials.
Charlie Purinton.had a 9" south bend and a drill press for his machinery. He said that when he was young nobody had any $ and everybody learned how to do things. Today everyone as money and machines and nobody knows how to do things.

If a person does not have $90 for couplers then feel free to cut some out of bar.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Soot n' Cinders

Post by Soot n' Cinders »

Yeah, with a few tools and some ingenuity you can make a pair of arch bar trucks and you can go back to link and pin (drawbars) instead of automatic couplers. We’ve just become spoiled with the options available.
The hobby can be done inexpensive but on average it is not a poor man’s hobby.
-Tristan

Projects
-2.5" scale Class A 20 Ton Shay

Steam Siphon: https://www.shapeways.com/shops/leavitt ... tive-works
RONALD

Post by RONALD »

Here is a site that lists the daily price of precious metals way at the top:

Iron/steel and it's associated alloying elements, and brasses & bronzes are not considered precious by jewlers.

https://www.riogrande.com
Fender

Post by Fender »

hoppercar wrote: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:12 am Since when are 1 1/2 scale couplers worth 91 dollars a pair ???
Here you go. Twenty-five dollars per pair, including a link and two pins. These were purchased from a member here. He can chime in if he wishes.
Attachments
EBF54E8B-7B83-444D-B4AA-499DA4545B59.jpeg
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

Nobody wants those...lol....must be an April fool's...lol
SZuiderveen

Post by SZuiderveen »

No, it’s not an April Fool joke! ! For sale for $25/pair. Can get 4 pair in small flat rate box @ $9.45.

szuidervee(at)aol.com.

94012C8E-A414-4F3E-A17E-F56110C7939C.jpeg
D48255D3-94A2-4E0C-80D3-7972B22950D0.jpeg
Regards,

Steve Zuiderveen
Last edited by SZuiderveen on Sun Apr 03, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
djjh87

Post by djjh87 »

With chain requirements link and pin is a viable alternative. We used link and pin on our 2 foot equipment . Jim
No problems just solutions.