1.5" scale 2-6-0

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dick_Morris

Re: 1.5" scale 2-6-0

Post by Dick_Morris »

Wasn't there also a light 2-8-0 design similar to the Scotty Mogul?
This one? http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/vie ... hp?t=87920
http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?tit ... e_Steamers
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

They were different, not based on the 'scotty' mogul. The red 2-8-0 was built by 3 guys down in Florida, Julian Van Sickle being one of them, and I can't remember who the others were. They built a couple of different locomotives this way: They would each work on various parts of the locomotive, and would build 4 of them. Each one of the participants would keep one locomotive when they were done, and they would sell the fourth one and split the money to cover the cost of their materials. The little red 2-8-0 used Chloe/Fitchburg drivers. It had different cylinders on it, and they changed the stroke slightly. Instead of the 2 1/4" stroke of the chloe, they moved it out and made it 2 1/2" or something, and then used a fatter piston to take up the extra length for the cylinders, which I believe were made for a 3" stroke. I don't remember which cylinders they used. Want to say it was mercer? Not sure. I've seen them run a couple of times, and they were good performers, but definitely different than anything else I've seen.

Paul Brien was building a 2-8-0 chassis based on the 'Scotty' Mogul, but sadly he never finished it. He had it almost ready to run on air. His grandson took it back to Utah with him about 10-11 years ago, and that's the last I've heard about it. It still had the main driver as the 2nd driver like the original mogul did. It was basically the 2-6-0, but with one axle added and the frame/suspension extended. I think he was going to finish it as a narrow gauge consolidation.

I still say if you are looking for a small Mogul, and you don't want to spend a bunch of money on castings, then you can't go wrong with this little mogul design. It's proven, it's cheap (relatively speaking), and it is a sharp little locomotive when done. You should be able to make most all of the chassis parts on a 9" lathe and a small table-top milling machine.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

the Scotty mogul is extremely neat, and perhaps the ONLY 7.5 locomotive that the drawings are publically available for FREE, which is super interesting from a beginner's point of view. Coupled with the fact of needing only 6 drive wheel castings. Wonder if allen slide valve cylinders from the chloe would fit on it, or if too small. no doubt the allen 2-6-0 cylinders would be too large.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

It gives all the dimensions of the cylinder in the drawings. There were two cylinder castings, but they were just blocks with a hole cored in the middle for the bore. They had no steam or exhaust passages cored in. I have a set of the castings that I got in trade a couple of years ago. I'd like to build it myself someday. Anyway, after looking at the cylinder castings, it wouldn't be too difficult to machine them out of a solid chunk of grey iron. Maybe I should post a picture of the castings. You could see that they aren't anything special and wouldn't be too hard to reproduce from solid.

The lead truck wheels can be made solid or be CNC'd or done up on a rotary table if one really had to have the spoked pilot wheels. That leaves only the drive wheel castings. Like I said earlier, I looked at the RRSC 0-4-0/mogul driver castings, and I am sure they would work. The stroke on the 'scotty' mogul is shorter than the stroke on the RRSC mogul, so that won't be a problem. The light driver on the RRSC 0-4-0 looks a lot like the driver castings with the 'Scotty' mogul. On the "Scotty" mogul, the main driver had a thicker counterweight, but they were all the same size.
mogul327

Post by mogul327 »

I will second anyone of how good the "Scotty" design is.
Thanks to board members and other generous individuals last year I was able to track down and obtain a casting set for the "Scotty" mogul. Like Pontiacguy says, if need be you can substitute RRSC medium weight drivers, which would be simple, as well as a similar cylinder block design. Pilot wheels could be anything you like in the required size.

Pic of Casting Kit:
Scotty Casting Set.jpg
Also thanks to pure luck I received an amazing offer to purchase a running and beautiful "Scotty" and have so far put 30 actual miles on the engine since picking it up last March of 2021. It fits easily in the back of my Chevy Silverado 6'6'' bed without being disconnected with a few inches to spare and has plenty of pulling power at its estimated 300ish pounds for the dry locomotive.
My Engine's First Run, July 4th 2021:
20210704_171332.jpg
I also have numerous build photos done by my locomotive's builder and one was a pic of a 2-8-0 he took at Kenny Davis' track which looks like "Scotty" mogul castings made into a consolidated with a regular non-belpair boiler.
kenny davis run_0386.jpg
1.5" Scotty Mogul #238
1.5" L.E. American Restoration
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

the 2-8-0 is so cool. I guess the big change would be working out the new valve gear measurements for using the #3 as the "main" axle.

Could do a wagon top going from 7 inch pipe to 8 inch pipe in place of the belpaire.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

I remember when someone was down at Mid-South back in the early to mid 1990s (1992 through about 1994 timeframe) selling these casting sets for $180. It may have been less at first, but that number is sticking in my mind. If someone could scrounge and had access to a lot of scrap materials, it could have been built pretty cheap. I don't know how many sets got sold, but I would think there are still several laying around. I have one of them myself now.

The lead truck wheel castings are unique in that the spokes aren't exactly 'spoke' shaped as you would normally think of them being. The openings in the lead truck wheel castings are more 'guitar pick' shaped than anything. You might call them teardrop also. Anyway, it is a neat set, and I would recommend it to anyone who is looking for something to build that doesn't have a large initial cash outlay.

Love the DM&IR mogul. It is sharp looking.
ALCOSTEAM

Post by ALCOSTEAM »

At one time according to the live steamers who have been around many a year and knew Scotty, he was selling a set of Scotty mogul castings for 35 bucks. That was drivers, cylinders, pony truck wheels, and tender truck castings. Scotty iirc was using a foundry in Batavia IL.

That 2-8-0 was built out of Scotty parts and I have run it several times.
Chief0763

Post by Chief0763 »

Thank you all for your advise, I've decided to build the Scotty Mogul. I've downloaded and printed the plans and have started to build the pattern for the drivers. There is a small foundry locally that will cast them for me. They previously cast the drivers for the KOZO A3 that I'm building.
Chief0763

Post by Chief0763 »

Question: What torch, flux, and silver solder would you recommend to fabricate the cooper boiler. I've read Alec Farmer book, "Model Locomotive Boilermaking", and Kozo book on building the Pennsy A3. The torch and material the recommend are either British or Japanese brands.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Very neat!

You should do a build log of it on here.

There might be others interested in drive wheel castings or cylinder castings for it. You could always post a for sale post on here, DLS, etc when you start having them cast.

Also if you are in TN, there are a number of railroads within several hours - Mid South Live steamers in Columbia, TN, Eagle Point RR in Dunlap, TN, North Georgia Live steamers- I think Conyers, GA, Canton St Paul & Pacific in Canton, Ga, and Palmetto Live Steamers over in Anderson, SC.

For the boiler - I'd do steel with copper flues. Use 7 inch pipe, 5/16 or so for firebox walls and 3/8 for the tube sheets. Then find some 5/8 or 3/4 K copper to roll in for the flues. Stick or TIG weld it.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

The boiler for the Pennsy A3 is what he's asking about, I think. I've never built a copper boiler. I've built quite a number of steel boilers, though. The plans for the Scotty mogul that were drawn up by Paul Brien have very detailed dimensions for the boiler, including how to cut and roll the 1/4" sheet steel to make the Belpaire shoulders.

Glad to hear of you deciding to build that Scotty Mogul. I think it will be a great locomotive when done. I've seen them run, and run a couple of them myself, and they are smooth and powerful for their relatively small size. Finding a piece of 7" diameter pipe for the boiler might be a challenge, since that is not a 'standard' size that most places will carry or be able to get. I would go on and start looking for that, and if you can find a piece of it that is suitable then go on and get it so you have it in-hand.