1.5" scale 2-6-0

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Chief0763

1.5" scale 2-6-0

Post by Chief0763 »

I am new to live steam modeling. I am currently building Kozo's 3/4" scale 0-4-0. I am considering modifying his plan's and building a 2-6-0 in 1.5" scale. My issue is I lack details on designing the leading pilot truck. Does anyone have plans, drawing, photo's, etc?
Curtis_F

Re: 1.5" scale 2-6-0

Post by Curtis_F »

It may be worth tracking down a copy of Bill Morewood's book "Building the Raritan" about his 3/4" scale 2-4-0 design.

If you want to keep it simple and since you're doing 1.5" scale, consider contacting Little Engines (Jesse Banning) or Allen Models of Nevada (Steve Alley) and getting a set of two-wheel engine truck drawings and castings from one of their locomotive kits. Then design your 2-6-0 around using their parts.
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Reading that you are "new to live steam modeling," my first reaction is to suggest you build one of the existing 2-6-0 kits available.
Little Engines
Railroad Supply
Allen Models
Others(?)
The engineering is completed and the locomotives are good performers.

Making your first build a modification project often leads to an unfinished project.
Building a locomotive is a big enough project that adding the design work may not be a wise choice.

Just my thoughts without knowing anything about your capabilities.
RussN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

I will echo what Russ is suggesting.
I have plenty of experience freelancing locomotives and I will tell you, unintended issues will result.
even if you spend HOURS with software like Solid works, there will always be issues.
if you are up to that challenge, by all means go for it. :)
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Agree, with a 2-6-0, there are too many "off the shelf" designs that provide a wide range of designs to use castings/drawings from. Would 100% go this route. If you go the Allen mogul route, I believe there are a number of modifications people have made including equalized lead truck, equalized brakes, water jet frames, then baker or walschaert valve gear.

Now a 4-6-0 or 2-8-0 from LE modern mogul parts would be pretty neat. Or a 0-6-0 from Allen 2-8-0 or 0-4-0 parts would also be pretty unique....
I know there was someone on here who posted pics of a 2-10-0 from LE modern mogul parts, super interesting!
Chief0763

Post by Chief0763 »

Thank you all; Let me clarify, I'm new to live steam, not machining and fabrication. I'm confident I can handle modifications to an existing design.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

a kozo scaled 2-6-0 is going to be very small. If that's what you are going for, 100% go for it, but it would be a much smaller locomotive than the LE or allen designs.
Chief0763

Post by Chief0763 »

thought I would go for something in that size range. My cousin owns a machine shop, and I access to a large amount of cut off, scrape, raw material. My thinking is in that size range I can easily fabricate/machine without the added expense of casting and manufacture plans. Once I retire I may look into a 1.5" 2-8-0, or a 2.5" Forney.
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

If you want to design your own from scratch there here is some reference material free from Google Books:

1906 Locomotive Dictionary: https://www.google.com/books/edition/Lo ... =en&gbpv=0

1912 Locomotive Cyclopedia: https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/ ... 8FegQIDxAG

1922 Locomotive Cyclopedia: https://www.google.com/books/edition/_/ ... 8FegQIERAI
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

You may not be new to machining and fabrication, but if you are new to live steam and building/designing live steam locomotives, then I would still follow NP317's and others' advice and not try to get into modifying something for your first locomotive. Lots of people seem to think that you just make the frame longer and throw another wheel/axle set under it and change it into some other wheel arrangement. There are usually clearances, suspension issues, boiler length and fitting, ash pan redesign, etc... that could crop up and cause problems, maybe a lot later on down the line when you are getting close to finishing the locomotive. It's not always as simple as you would like it to be.

If you stick with an established design, you KNOW that if you build it properly it will work and perform as you expect it to and that it will fit together with the least amount of fuss. Nobody said that you HAVE to buy every casting to build a locomotive. In fact, If I were you, I'd be looking at the 'Scotty' Mogul designed by Charles Purinton, drawn and Marketed by Persing G. Scott, and re-drawn by Paul F. Brien from Nashville. You can look it over and download the drawings for it here: http://ibls.org/mediawiki/index.php?title=Scotty_Mogul

This would actually be exactly what you are looking for. It is a fairly small Mogul, but is a good runner. Several have been built. There are TONS of detailed drawings for the locomotive (none for the tender, sadly, only a few sketches), and almost everything for the locomotive is fabricated. In fact, the casting 'set' for this locomotive (which is no longer available) consisted only of 2 lead truck wheel castings, 6 drive wheel castings, and two cylinder blocks. Everything else was made. You could make the cylinder blocks out of solid iron using Kozo's methods, make the lead truck wheels either solid or fabricated, and use Railroad Supply 2-6-0 drivers for the drive wheel castings. That would get you what you are wanting, and there wouldn't be any surprises along the way.
Marty_Knox

Post by Marty_Knox »

If you want a smaller 2-6-0 look at the Fitchburg Northern from Allen Models. Although it is 2.5" scale, you could use Railroad Supply 0-4-0 drivers and a smaller cab to make it 1.5" scale. It does have an equalized lead truck.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Wasn't there also a light 2-8-0 design similar to the Scotty Mogul?

Too bad the castings aren't available for it, but agree could do it from stock.