1.5" scale 2-6-0

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Wayne Davis

Re: 1.5" scale 2-6-0

Post by Wayne Davis »

Pontiacguy1 there are now tender drawings for the Paul Brian Scotty Mogul. I sent in some hand drawn prints that Paul sent to a member of the Iowa model live steamers. They are a little bit down just below the general arrangements. These are what I used to make my tender. I think the 1 1/2" A3 cylinders from Friends Models would be very close to the cylinders provided in the casting sets. The bore would be OK, but it depends if they are long enough for the stroke needed.

Wayne Davis

http://www.friendsmodels.com/locomotive ... ivers.html
Wayne Davis

Post by Wayne Davis »

Here is a video Of three Scottie Moguls triple heading. The green one was built by Scotty and the last one is mine under construction.

https://youtu.be/ZPqUCaMER30
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

Keep in mind that you will have to transport and store the finished loco. A large 1.5" loco requires dedicated vehicle or trailer
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Comstock-Friend

Post by Comstock-Friend »

There is Bob Reedy's "Building a 1.5" Scale Mogul" in Live Steam starting with the March/April 1996 issue. It ran over multiple issues. The basis was the Railroad Supply Mogul which he bought the drawings for, but fabbed most parts instead of castings. Regarding the lead truck, be bought the RRSC castings for that as he figured cheaper for the castings than hogging out of large chucks of steel...
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

FYI: Bob Reedy was not kin to me. He was from California and I am from Tennessee. True story: I happened to learn about him by accident. I was a 23 or 24 year old and had ordered some castings for building trucks from Power Model Supply in Missouri. At the same time Bob Reedy had ordered some pump castings and other various parts for some projects he was working on. Apparently someone at Power Model got confused when there were two Robert Reedys that were both in the hobby and who both placed orders with them at the same time. Well, they shipped his order to me and my order to him. Needless to say, I was a little bit surprised when I opened up the box! Once the nature of the mistake was discovered, they put us into contact with each other. We talked on the phone, and we mailed each other our orders and all was good. Just delayed by about a week. I believe that was in the summer of 1998. Seems like a lifetime ago now.
Andypullen

Post by Andypullen »

Pontiacguy1 wrote: Fri Apr 22, 2022 8:12 am The boiler for the Pennsy A3 is what he's asking about, I think. I've never built a copper boiler. I've built quite a number of steel boilers, though. The plans for the Scotty mogul that were drawn up by Paul Brien have very detailed dimensions for the boiler, including how to cut and roll the 1/4" sheet steel to make the Belpaire shoulders.

Glad to hear of you deciding to build that Scotty Mogul. I think it will be a great locomotive when done. I've seen them run, and run a couple of them myself, and they are smooth and powerful for their relatively small size. Finding a piece of 7" diameter pipe for the boiler might be a challenge, since that is not a 'standard' size that most places will carry or be able to get. I would go on and start looking for that, and if you can find a piece of it that is suitable then go on and get it so you have it in-hand.

http://www.warricktubing.com/

Try Warrick tubing for your boiler barrel. I've purchased 2 pieces of pipe from them for boiler barrels. They have the "odd" sizes too. My 2-8-0 boiler is 9" pipe from them. I had it drop shipped to Marty Knox and he built it for me.

Andy Pullen
Clausing 10x24, Sheldon 12" shaper, ProtoTrak AGE-2 control cnc on a BP clone, Reed Prentice 14" x 30", Sanford MG 610 surface grinder, Kalamazoo 610 bandsaw, Hardinge HSL speed lathe, Hardinge HC chucker, Kearney and Trecker #2K plain horizontal mill, Haas TL-1 lathe.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

It has a straight top boiler and is a beautiful locomotive. It is also a great runner. I've seen it at Mid-South 2 or 3 times now, and it always runs well.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

It also appears to have engine brakes, which I believe the original ones did not. might be wrong.
jholloway

Post by jholloway »

Does anyone know of any books/articles describing building the Scotty 2-6-0
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

No, there are no articles or books or anything. There were the 'original' drawings that were done by Carl Purinton back in the 1950's or maybe even earlier. I have a set of those drawings that I got from Cary Nettles, who got them from Pershing G. Scott, who used to sell this casting/drawing set. Those drawings were somewhat different in several areas. Back in the late 1990s, Paul Brien of Nashville, TN redrew the whole locomotive in AutoCad, and he made several improvements to it, beefing it up in some areas. He made the rods thicker, the motion plate thicker and a bit sturdier, and a few other things. The drawings that are on the web are the drawings that Paul Brien made. Those are the ones that I would build to if I were you. I know of at least 5 locomotives built and running that were made from Paul's re-drawn plans, and they all performed extremely well.

I do know one person who built the Scotty mogul who is very meticulous and usually keeps build notes for every locomotive he builds. If I can get a copy of those, that might be extremely helpful to someone. That would be the closest thing available that might help other than the drawings themselves.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

surely it wouldn't be "that" expensive to make a wood pattern for the cylinder castings. Then other drive wheels from the mercer0-4-0 / RRSc etc would be used.