1" Scale Cab Forward

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

mattmason

1" Scale Cab Forward

Post by mattmason »

or 3/4" scale.

In the beginning of this video 20-seconds in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKVGVNbGVI, something is labeled as an early version of Ed's cab forward, but it is too small and on the small scales bays at GGLS, not the 7 1/2" gauged steaming bays.

Any information on this? This is NOT the one that was donated to SVLS last year, this one is entirely different.
Matt Mason
paralleler

Re: 1" Scale Cab Forward

Post by paralleler »

mattmason wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:00 pm In the beginning of this video 20-seconds in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKVGVNbGVI, something is labeled as an early version of Ed's cab forward, but it is too small and on the small scales bays at GGLS, not the 7 1/2" gauged steaming bays.
I think at the 5:26 mark, the cab forward is seen on the 7-1/2" track.
mattmason

Post by mattmason »

But they are not the same cab-forward. Ed's is on the ground track later, but the one at the 20 second mark is not his. Couple reasons:

1) The first one is steaming up on the transfer table small scales steaming bay for only 4 3/4', 3 1/2", and 2 1/2" gauges
2) Skyline casing
3) Look at the hands on top of the tender, they are much larger than if it was over Ed's tender
4) The controls are different, including the throttle is a hard link vs. the hydraulic control on Ed's.
Matt Mason
AnthonyDuarte

Post by AnthonyDuarte »

Additionally, the little cab forward at 20 seconds has a flat face, so it's representing an AC-5 or earlier. Ed Yungling's is an AC-12.
My eyes might be deceiving me, but it appears to be a 4-6-6-2.
Curtis_F

Post by Curtis_F »

AnthonyDuarte wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 11:21 am My eyes might be deceiving me, but it appears to be a 4-6-6-2.
Your eyes are good. 4-6-6-2 with simple cylinders which would make it an AM2, or with that fanciful skyline casing perhaps the builder was making an "AM3".

AM2 3910:
Denver Public Library OP-15650 - Southern Pacific locomotive, engine number 3910, engine type 4-6-6-2__1536.jpg
25+ Years of SolidWorks experience...now I feel old.
"You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink."
"Winning an argument on the internet is like winning the Special Olympics."
www.facebook.com/HillcrestShops
Rwilliams

Post by Rwilliams »

At one time there was a 1 inch or 3/4 inch cab forward at GGLS that was set up to run tender forward as the engineer rode a riding car next to the cab. Somewhere in the 1984-1985 time frame, I was looking at the locomotive collection in a dark wine cellar near Hollister owned by a guy named Barry Bickle. Bickle told me it was first constructed as a normal cab in back locomotive more like a Challenger, then modified into the cab forward look. Appeared to be a 4-6-6-2 with the front of the cab missing so the engineer could operate from the riding car next to the cab. This engine in the video could be the same one with some upgrades to make the cab look more like an early flat face cab forward. I know at the time, most of the engines in the wine cellar were for sale, but all needed work of some sort.

Robert
VO4454

Post by VO4454 »

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by Postwarbob » Tue Mar 14, 2017 1:03 pm

The cab forward engine in this photo was taken at GGLS and the engine is a Lester Friends articulated. 3/4" scale. It was owned by member Henry Pass of Oakland Ca. If i remember right I sold it for Henry at LALS many years back. Henry turned it around and made a cab for it to look liks a cab ahead.

Re: Mystery Cab Forward at GGLS...

Post by squandt » Mon Mar 13, 2017 7:44 pm
had to resize to get to fit. Here are the photo

https://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/v ... 1&start=12
Attachments
D884F3E6-BB59-4D7E-8F3D-4E7863C69AF5.jpeg
For Duty and Humanity