Seeking Information on Andy Clerici’s Allegheny

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

RR Ty

Seeking Information on Andy Clerici’s Allegheny

Post by RR Ty »

Good evening all,

Does anyone out there know if Andy Clerici made any drawings, patterns, etc. when building the Allegheny? If not, my current plan would be to build from stock unless I can find others interested in making a few sets of castings.

My goal in asking this is to determine what path would be most prudent and possibly find others interested in collaborating or also building one of their own.

If there is interest, I will start a build log. Until fabrication begins, it would be period design updates for the most part.

-Tyler
thej611

Re: Seeking Information on Andy Clerici’s Allegheny

Post by thej611 »

Please start your build log .
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Charles Balmer built an Allegheny in 3/4" scale , making over a 100 of his own castings. Andy built a 1/8 scale as well as a fellow in Australia. If your on Facebook it appears several times on the 1/8 scale Berkshire page run by Jim Krieder. No idea about drawings, I have asked around as well, but not gotten any further. Many of the full scale drawings can be purchased from Roger Goldman. You maybe able to use some of Jim's Berkshire castings if you are building in 1.5 scale. If I get to the point that I ever finish my 3" scale Berkshire, a 3" Allegheny would be my next project so I will be following your build.

Nyle
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

The first two attachments will give you some rough dimensions and specs. if you can read them. It's from an article written by Andy in 1983, looks like there's an understandable 500KB file size limit here so I can't upload it. Maybe you can PM me your email address and I can send you the PDF.

Here's a video of four articulated model locomotives Including Andy's Allegheny taken the Summer of 1983:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cKKVGVNbGVI
(Andy and his Allegheny starts appearing at about 02:20 into the video.)

"History makes you smart, heritage makes you proud."
Attachments
Basic Dimensions
Basic Dimensions
Rough Specifications
Rough Specifications
Allegheny Outbound
Allegheny Outbound
Smoke Box Detail
Smoke Box Detail
Allegheny Lookin' Good!
Allegheny Lookin' Good!
Ditto!
Ditto!
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

LIALLEGHENY wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:43 pm Charles Balmer built an Allegheny in 3/4" scale , making over a 100 of his own castings.
I do know of the 3/4” scale Allegheny. I only live a few hours away from where it commonly runs at Cinder Sniffers in Indiana, but have never been down there.

I do enjoy the 1/8 scale Berk page on Facebook and find it to be a valuable resource for many applications beyond Berkshires. I had even considered building one, but ultimately decided on the Allegheny.

As for scale, 1.6” would be more correct than 1.5” as all tracks anywhere near me are 7.5” gauge. If I can’t find already existing drawings in 1.5” scale, then the drawings/ design work I do will likely be in 1.6” scale. The added bonus is that I get to haul extra weight around in my trailer.
Last edited by RR Ty on Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

If you are designing from scratch, making patterns etc, why not just go with 1.6? Likely you'll be designing in CAD, if so, 1.5 vs 1.6 makes little difference in terms of complexity.

Andy's appears to be a slide valve outside admission setup.

Wouldn't a 1.6 scale H8 need a 14 inch boiler? - wow!
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

My plan is to go with 1.6” unless a usable 1.5” design exists.

Yes, the boiler would likely be in that range. A 14” pipe may be slightly too big after adding the pipe’s wall thickness and boiler jacketing
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

14 inch pipe is 14 OD, unlike a 10 inch pipe which is 10.75 OD.

OD boiler shell diameter on the H8 was 107-109 inch range. Not including jacketing. You'd divide those numbers by 7.5 to get your 1.6 scale dimensions. Or divide by 8 to get 1.5 scale dimension. Even something like an N&W A in 1.6 scale would scale to around a 13.5 inch OD boiler at the larger point.
3cCO 2_6_6_6 Allegheny 1604 drawing.jpg
paralleler

Post by paralleler »

I just got off the phone with a friend who I'm sure knew Andy, a fellow member of GGLS, and who may have done something similar with one of his locomotives. Way back when there was a guy (Truson Bugle?) who acquired original drawings of steam locomotives. John purchased a set for the Daylight and between scaling things down and taking some "liberties," he built his one-off 7-1/2" gauge, 1.6" scale, Daylight. The original drawings were large, like ten feet long, and drawn at 1/8" scale so he could almost use calipers on them.

As for Andy's, it is possible that drawings he used for his 2-6-6-6 might be archived at the California Railroad Museum in Sacramento. Another place to pulse would be the Chesapeake and Ohio Historical Society where I believe Andy's locomotive might be on display.

"History makes you smart, heritage makes you proud."
Attachments
John with his Daylight
John with his Daylight
Last edited by paralleler on Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NP317

Post by NP317 »

Allegheny in the Henry Ford Museum, Dearborn, MI:

https://www.thehenryford.org/collection ... ocomotive/

RussN
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

Berkman wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:19 pm 14 inch pipe is 14 OD, unlike a 10 inch pipe which is 10.75 OD.

3cCO 2_6_6_6 Allegheny 1604 drawing.jpg
Yes, you are correct. I was just having a moment of stupid as I am very used to the smaller pipe sizes, and have been looking at submittals for a mechanical room all day. It is certainly going to have a lot of boiler.
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

paralleler wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 1:34 pm As for Andy's, it is possible that drawings he used for his 2-6-6-6 might be archived at the California Railroad Museum in Sacramento. Another place to pulse would be the Chesapeake and Ohio Historical Society where I believe Andy's locomotive might be on display.
Thanks,
I will get in contact with them and see if I can find anything out