Seeking Information on Andy Clerici’s Allegheny

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Mark Landgraf

Re: Seeking Information on Andy Clerici’s Allegheny

Post by Mark Landgraf »

Hi

I have about 30 Lima factory and C&O drawings that cover the pilot, side elevation, front frame, rear frame, trailing truck. a bunch of reverse gear parts and links, siderods, wheel centers. etc. Total file size is about 800 megs. If interested please contact me off line at mark_landgraf at yahoo dot com

Mark Landgraf
Albany NY
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

Ed Yungling has a bunch of Allegheny drawings. I asked him what he had and his reply was "everything that you need to build one".
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

I for one would definitely be interested in "everything that you need to build one" Allegheny drawings if they are available, so how do "we" go about getting in touch with Ed Yungling? Any idea if they are for the full size or model?

Nyle
SF2900

Post by SF2900 »

You can message Ed here on Chaski (although he does not regularly check in). His user name is "LSGOD" The next time I see him (probably next week) I will get him to check his messages.
Ward
LIALLEGHENY

Post by LIALLEGHENY »

Thank you Ward!
Rob Gardner

Post by Rob Gardner »

To answer LIALLEGHENY's original question, I'm not sure about whatever happened to the drawings that Andy Clerici may have had or made to build his Allegheny with.

There are two gentlemen in Australia who have now built a C&O K-4 Kanawha and H-8 Allegheny, both in 1.5" scale. One is Neil Dannenberg and the other is Lloyd Dannenberg. I have had some communications with Neil and he has posted numerous photos and videos of both locomotives on Facebook. They are both gorgeous locomotives and are both nearly 100% complete. I'm sure they have fairly complete drawings for both locomotives but it sounds like you've found the best and closest source for drawings in Ed Yungling right here in the states.

Sincerely,

Rob Gardner
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

This is Ed Yungling. I have most of the Lima drawings for the Allegheny. There is a 1.5 scale Allegheny at the Danley ranch in Willows California. I can get information about its availability. I had started the patterns for the 8 wheel tender truck. not finished.
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

The drawings for the Virginian 2-6-6-6 are available through the N&W Historical society.
LSGOD

Post by LSGOD »

?????????????
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

RR Ty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 6:19 pm If not, my current plan would be to build from stock unless I can find others interested in making a few sets of castings.
As someone who has spent a decent amount of time making patterns/castings and speaking with foundries I would agree that for a one off making as many parts out of bar stock as possible is the best way to go.

Finding reasonable foundries to deal with has become very difficult and for complex patterns and core boxes you really want to be able to drive there and discuss your designs with them before/during your progress in making the patterns to ensure they will be willing to cast what you have made.

Besides the "critical castings" like driving wheels and maybe cylinders it just realistically it just isn't "worth it" for a one-off engine, if your making a number of them then the economics start to work out a little better.

Just my 2cents. Good luck with your project.
-Frank K.
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

FKreider wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:44 pm Just my 2cents. Good luck with your project.
Thanks!
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

LSGOD wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:18 pm This is Ed Yungling. I have most of the Lima drawings for the Allegheny. There is a 1.5 scale Allegheny at the Danley ranch in Willows California. I can get information about its availability. I had started the patterns for the 8 wheel tender truck. not finished.
I sent you a PM with my contact information. I would be interested in talking to you more about this.