Eliminating this danger

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

cbrew

Re: Eliminating this danger

Post by cbrew »

Berkman wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 7:18 pm what's the easiest way to make a flange? would think there might be a standard size that could be used from an auto exhaust company etc perhaps.
I used a piece of 20ga sheet i had in the scrap pile and a tuna fish can, it was the correct size to fit the allen modals stack casting

I have four more of those fans, going to make up plates for the rest of my equipment
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

That’s what I Am thinking on the blower I posted, use piece of 4” duct and a 4” starting collar attached to one end and slip it over the stack, and Bob’s your uncle.
Geo 🇺🇸
If it ain’t broken keep working on it until it is .
Geo 🇺🇸
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

i would think twice about using a fan where the motor is directly exposed to the exhaust gas such as the in-line fan whose picture you have posted.

unless i am missing something -> most motors do not like to run in temperatures such as are experienced in the exhaust gas stream. - particularly something with thermoplastic blades...

unless i am mistaken, this fan is intended to use in the hot air distribution of a heating furnace -> not the exhaust combustion stream.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Bill Shields wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 1:21 pm i would think twice about using a fan where the motor is directly exposed to the exhaust gas such as the in-line fan whose picture you have posted.

unless i am missing something -> most motors do not like to run in temperatures such as are experienced in the exhaust gas stream. - particularly something with thermoplastic blades...

unless i am mistaken, this fan is intended to use in the hot air distribution of a heating furnace -> not the exhaust combustion stream.
who are you directing this too?
Geochurchi

Post by Geochurchi »

These fans/motor are designed to exhaust fuel gases and supply O For the burners in hot air furnaces, not sure how hot the steamer gets but I am planning to measure the temperature on Sat. when we fire it up.
Geo 🇺🇸
If it ain’t broken keep working on it until it is .
Geo 🇺🇸
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

Geochurchi wrote: Mon Dec 13, 2021 4:12 pm These fans/motor are designed to exhaust fuel gases and supply O For the burners in hot air furnaces, not sure how hot the steamer gets but I am planning to measure the temperature on Sat. when we fire it up.
Geo 🇺🇸
when i am warming my locomotive, the exhaust is barely warm enough to warm hands. I can pick up the fan off the stack with my bare hands when i have enough steam to cut over to the blower
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

Bill Shields wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 2:13 pm

In all the decades that I have been doing this, I cannot remember anyone saying that their 'electric fan overheated'...
I've melted one. It was 99% plastic though... :)

I have one made up for the propane fired wagon which is a plastic fan blade, used originally for a booster fan inline for ductwork. I'm yet to melt it, but it has probably 1/3rd hot gas and 2/3rds cold air draw in. I don't need that much draft with the Solar burners at low rate to get enough fire. (I need a LOT more draft when pulling me around...)

Coal fired- I have both 12 and 120V fans around- the 12v one is used with the 4" traction, and has a bit of a dubious casing made of cardboard...I have to be careful about how wet it gets, but it does the job.
James Powell

Post by James Powell »

PS: I see no danger in the original setup. Unless your name is Joe, Bill, or Tony, or anyone else for whom a telegraph was sent...

For anyone else who isn't in on the joke:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQlfWrqDLeE

It isn't quite the joke that it can be made out to be- live 110V wiring like that is quite a hazard.
Benjamin Maggi

Post by Benjamin Maggi »

You could always do the what a shortline in Western NY, the Arcade and Attica Railroad, did.
Fan mounted on a post and connected to the smokestack with tubing. It kept some of the heat out of the motor.
Exhaust fan on Steamer.jpg
"One cannot learn to swim without getting his feet wet." - Benjamin Maggi
- Building: 7.25" gauge "Sweet Pea" named "Catherine"