Roger goldmann still around?

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Pontiacguy1

Re: Roger goldmann still around?

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That's why my philosophy for the past 15 years or so has been: If there is something you want or need and it's being offered right now, if you can afford it then go on and buy it NOW. Don't wait and think "I will get that next year" or after I finish this project. I try to practice this with my own stuff, and get everything that I know I'm going to need for a certain locomotive or project up-front. Since almost all suppliers in this hobby are garage manufacturers, things have a way of disappearing quickly and not ever being available again. Sometimes things will resurface after several years (Friends Models, Mercer 0-4-0, SuperScale), and sometimes they are just gone (Klamath, LE Small Scales, Locomotion, Power Model Supply, Rogers-Cook). Never know what's going to happen.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Didn't some of the power model/rogers-cook parts make it out to Mike V or someone?
Maybe I'm wrong. 100% agree with pontiacguy though.

Shame the NYC hudson patterns from Klamath are lost. An NYC hudson casting set to the level of design detail of Jim's NKP would be something.

To OP did you end up ordering castings from RG? - let us know how that goes.
Last edited by Berkman on Mon Dec 13, 2021 11:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
RR Ty

Post by RR Ty »

Yes, please let us know how it goes. I am planning on purchasing some drawings from him, if I can get them.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

Didn't some of the power model/rogers-cook parts make it out to Mike V or someone?
Yes, some of the parts and patterns were salvaged, such as the steam powered air/water pump castings and some other stuff. Some stuff was salvaged and sold and has just disappeared. There was a nearly complete set of patterns for the D&RGW C-19 2-8-0 in 2 1/2" Scale, which has disappeared. There was a lot of his product line that was simply destroyed in that explosion and subsequent fire.

If you can actually get drawings and/or castings from R. G. or anything else that you need right now, then do it. Once it's in your hands, you control it. I don't personally want to build a NYC Hudson or a Southern PS4, but I hate that the castings and drawings are no longer available at all. Let's hope for the best but plan for the worst.
Dick_Morris

Post by Dick_Morris »

My understanding is that many of the Power Model Supply patterns were stored at the foundry and were not in the fire. 10-15 years ago, someone was helping the estate dispose of them and was selling them via Ebay. I have a a couple of PMS queen post patterns and a couple of push pole patterns that I obtained via that route. (The packing material in the box was paper copies of information on several model and prototype pumps, all smelling of smoke. They were apparently some of Fred's research material.)

My recollection is that there was a set of patterns for another locomotive (Falk??) that was discussed here several years ago. Someone had obtained the patterns and planned on making castings available but it apparently never came to pass.

I have a copy of a 1984 C.A. Street and Sons catalog that includes the C-19. I got it from PMS and the original sellers name was marked through on the cover and rubber stamped for PMS. The catalog says it is a John Milner design and is distributed by C.A. Street and Sons. Also in the catalog were castings for other locomotives my Don Young and Milner Engineering. That suggests to me that they purchased the castings rather than produced them. If that's the case, it also suggests that PMS may have only marketed the castings, but didn't have the patterns.

I still regret not getting a Moseley generator when they could be had. They have since appreciated somewhere between 7 and 10 times the original value. Having learned my lesson, I have a "jewelry box" with several thousand dollars worth of detail parts, many of which can no longer be obtained.
Pontiacguy1

Post by Pontiacguy1 »

That suggests to me that they purchased the castings rather than produced them. If that's the case, it also suggests that PMS may have only marketed the castings, but didn't have the patterns.
That is partially true: I happen to know for absolute certain, though, that the C-19 parts from Power Model Supply were from patterns that Fred owned. I know the guy who made the patterns, and remember seeing them while he was working on them. Some of the other locomotives and stuff may have been purchased castings from other suppliers, which I know he did on some things. From what I've been told: Originally, He did obtain the C-19 castings from somewhere in England, and was their North American distributor, so to speak. I was also told that it got so that they were extremely expensive to get those castings and the delivery was unreliable, so he almost never had anything in stock. They were pretty much a custom order from what I understand. You would order castings and pay your money and hopefully you would get them in 6 to 8 months or something. He worked out a deal with a guy here in middle Tn make the patterns for that C-19 back in the late 80's, and in exchange the pattern maker got the first set of the castings from them. Most of those patterns were recovered, then sold on Ebay back several years ago, and have simply disappeared. No one knows where they are now. It still may be possible to get those castings from somewhere, though. Fred may have worked out other similar deals with other stuff, so it could be either way with parts/castings he provided.

Just relaying to you what I know about it.
Berkman

Post by Berkman »

Perhaps the availability of RG drawings and castings is independent of his machined chassis since the chassis are probably done in batches etc and require a lot more time input on his end vs having the foundry pour castings or having drawings copied.
Babaji322

Post by Babaji322 »

I sent a letter to him the 16th requesting pricing on castings and he has yet to respond I ended up getting the drawings on disc from UPHS and am now considering the logistics of getting started from scratch. I am looking at buying some heavy northern castings from little engines and modifying from there
MoPac5324

Post by MoPac5324 »

Let me know if you have any luck out of Little Engines.