Firebox wrappers

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

theg8nw

Firebox wrappers

Post by theg8nw »

Hello all,

I have seen some great work on faux firebox wrapper and was wondering what materials people are using for the the backhead/throat sheet/side sheet wrappers. I know about the rivets and acorn nuts, but was wanting to know more about material type and thickness for the sheets themselves. This is for my LE Light northern 7.5"Ga/1.5 scale.

Thanks
John
Plan your work, work your plan.
www.measurementandmachine.com
amadlinger

Re: Firebox wrappers

Post by amadlinger »

Hi John,

I used 1/16" thick copper sheet for the backhead and throat sheet wrappers on my 2-8-0. I checked a number of vendors and, surprisingly, McMaster had the best prices by far.

For the side sheets, I used 1/16" brass sheet that I had kicking around, since no forming was required.

Here is the link again to the thread on my locomotive:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=110220&p=433774#p433774

Sincerely,
Adam
NP317

Post by NP317 »

For the firebox side/throat sheets I used the same steel sheet metal used for the boiler jacket on my Mikado.
Link here:
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=106308&start=24#p386295

Of course I don't remember the thickness, but it is in that discussion somewhere!
RussN
Fender

Post by Fender »

If using steel, consider A1008 rather than A1018. It has lower carbon and is more easily formed.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
JBodenmann

Post by JBodenmann »

Hello My Friends
Here is a link to some past posts concerning fire box wrappers. Steel would work fine for the flat side sheets. But to make steel back head and throat sheet wrappers you would have to make aluminum or steel forming dies as it would require hot forming. Copper can be formed on MDF dies as it is worked cold, but must be removed from the dies for annealing. This was in the New York Central J1 streamliner thread.
viewtopic.php?f=45&t=101853&start=12