Turbulators on propane boiler

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Drprez

Re: Turbulators on propane boiler

Post by Drprez »

Dave

Can you post a drawing of what exactly you did in the smoke box with the stack?
Nicholas Kalair
Las Vegas, NV

...the best is yet to come...
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Drprez wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:02 am Dave

Yes, but this week is very busy. I'll try to get a drawing posted this week.

Dave
daves1459

Post by daves1459 »

Drprez wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 6:02 am Dave

I apologize for the delay, but here, at long last, is the drawing you asked for. I've tried to give you a comprehensive reply so included sone additional information. I would think that the dimensions should proportion for other locomotives. The length I selected for the nozzle was arbitrary. I simply made it long enough to be just short of the top of the stack thinking at that point it would not create a draft. In this case the cylinder bore is 1 3/4". I included the drawing for the exhaust nozzle along with a smoke box picture of it installed. I also attached my drawing for the smoke box baffle along with a picture of it installed. I do believe the baffle is a significant factor in improving the hot air moving more equally through all of the tubes when a firebox arch is used. Note that the baffle to extends horizontally forward on top of the top row of tubes then angles downward and forward to under the exhaust nozzle cap. In the prototype the horizontal extension should provide an area to approximate the area over the top of the arch in the firebox. The downward angle should increase the area at a rate equal to the area of the addition of each row of tubes. There were other flow areas in the prototypes to tune the baffle system. I don't consider them too critical for our models. The baffle is probably not practical in a coal burner due to the need to sweep the tubes. But, after several years use in my propane fired loco it seems to be working out O-K.

If you have any additional questions, feel free to ask. I'm interested in how you fashioned your smoke box components and result.

Dave
Attachments
DSC02843.JPG
DSC02842.JPG
DSC02841.JPG
DSC01362.JPG
DSC01855.JPG
DSC01854 (2).JPG
Drprez

Post by Drprez »

Awesome thank you