Driving axle box lateral

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

Dale Grice

Driving axle box lateral

Post by Dale Grice »

I am working on a RR Supply Mikado. The drawing calls for a 12" radius of the surface of the driving box that rides laterally on the frame. See attached pdf. I would assume this is for uneven cross elevation of the track. A 12" radius is going to be hard to accomplish. I saw one build where they just but a small taper in place. Any other ideas or thoughts on the subject?

Thanks,

Dale Grice
Attachments
Untitled.pdf
(417.55 KiB) Downloaded 327 times
Projects:

1.6 CB&Q O1a Mikado
1.6 CB&Q NE7 Waycar

RR Supply 90 ton Logging Mikado
Bill Shields

Re: Driving axle box lateral

Post by Bill Shields »

This does allow for axle tilt without binding

I just put in a small taper...maybe 3-4 degrees and call it a day. The exact taper is based on suspension travel..but generally this dimension works.

And only put flanges on the outside of the boxes.

I did build one where I put in a dowel pin in place of the ears..worked ok but was more work than the ears.
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
Fender

Post by Fender »

Yeah, not many of us have a 24 inch faceplate on the lathe or a 24 inch rotary table on our mill. 🙄
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
cbrew

Post by cbrew »

i personally machine my journals flat, and that locomotive has zero issues on some of the roughest track at Train mountain.
If it is not live steam. its not worth it.
KarlKobel

Post by KarlKobel »

Dale,

I built the Railroad Warehouse version.
Here is how I accomplished this task.
P2141069.JPG
Just make sure to take light cuts an only in the 'conventional' direction.

Karl
www.karlkobel.com for other details on the major portion of the build (I stopped updating it after a while - preferring to spend my time machining - and running).
Dale Grice

Post by Dale Grice »

Yes, with my rotary table, that is how I envisioned it. But that hangs it way out there and was not sure it would work. After all the time I spent on these, did not want to mess up.

Dale
Projects:

1.6 CB&Q O1a Mikado
1.6 CB&Q NE7 Waycar

RR Supply 90 ton Logging Mikado
Bill Shields

Post by Bill Shields »

My question is why a 12" radius?

If the distance between flanges is 7.25" (approx)...why does the radius need to be significantly greater than that?

If you assume that one wheel is fixed and is the pivot point then why a greater radius?
Too many things going on to bother listing them.
rmac

Post by rmac »

For what it's worth, I've done something similar with success. The picture shows the setup before clamping the actual part (the little aluminum block) to the angle. As Karl said, take it easy and no climb cutting.

-- Russell Mac

rotary_table_setup.jpg
FKreider

Post by FKreider »

Make a paper or cardboard template and then file the radius by eye checking with the template once in a while.

Its amazing what can be done with a little bench work.
-Frank K.
Asteamhead

Post by Asteamhead »

A radius isn't necessary to allow the axle to follow uneven track! A lot easier to mill, some slight tapers will do :) .
When milling the axle boxes, you may mill tapers to flanges on both sides in the same action.
A typical angel left/right of 2 to 3 ° is recommended. I prefer to let remain a small area of about 1/2 "in the center without taper.
Good luck!
Asteamhead
Attachments
(DB) drawing of tapered axle boxes to meet bad track.<br />Remember: the driving rods will be twisted, too!
(DB) drawing of tapered axle boxes to meet bad track.
Remember: the driving rods will be twisted, too!
hoppercar

Post by hoppercar »

I put 3/16ths total lateral in mine...which is way more than the drawings call for, you will need it... The lateral clearance on those mikado drawings are way to tight
Harold_V

Post by Harold_V »

Dale Grice wrote: Sun Feb 28, 2021 9:17 am Yes, with my rotary table, that is how I envisioned it. But that hangs it way out there and was not sure it would work. After all the time I spent on these, did not want to mess up.
Good thinking!
Make sure the extension piece used offers the required rigidity (don't use a thin piece of material), and DO NOT TAKE ANY CLIMB CUTS. The mechanical advantage of the extension is a guarantee that you'll fail if you do either.

H
Wise people talk because they have something to say. Fools talk because they have to say something.