Air Compressor Safety

This forum is dedicated to the Live Steam Hobbyist Community.

Moderators: cbrew, Harold_V

steamingon

Air Compressor Safety

Post by steamingon »

Air Compressor Safety

www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm_FJ6Pat4I

Ooophs!

and people worry more about steam locomotive safety
Fender

Re: Air Compressor Safety

Post by Fender »

How many home workshop air tanks ever get a hydrostatic test after they are purchased? And many are not drained regularly.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Steggy

Post by Steggy »

This is a duplicate post.
———————————————————————————————————————————————————————
Music isn’t at all difficult.  All you gotta do is play the right notes at the right time!  :D
rkcarguy

Post by rkcarguy »

I find it Interesting that in the video you can see where it appears the tank had been repaired around the big NPT fitting that holds the drain plug with a big blob of weld. It didn't split open there though, but it's an indicator that rust was a known problem.
Pipescs

Post by Pipescs »

How many home workshop air tanks ever get a hydrostatic test after they are purchased? And many are not drained regularly.
Bought it 25 years ago, you mean I am suppose to drain it?
Charlie Pipes
Mid-South Live Steamers

Current Projects:

Scratch Built 3 3/4 scale 0-4-4 Forney
Little Engines American
20 Ton Shay (Castings and Plans Purchased for future)
Fender

Post by Fender »

I suspect that horizontal tanks are more susceptible to this type of failure, because the condensate accumulates along the side of the shell, weakening it there. A vertical tank usually has a hemispherical bottom, which is inherently stronger.
I had a Craftsman compressor with a horizontal tank for about 40 years, drained it occasionally, but one day when I turned it on, the drive shaft snapped off where it went into the pump body! Not economically repairable.
Dan Watson
Chattanooga, TN
Greg_Lewis

Post by Greg_Lewis »

You'll find other such incidents on Youtube. One was a still under warranty unit from Horrible Fright Tools.

By the way, Horrible Fright Tools sells an automatic drain gadget for about $10. I had one on my compressor for years until it clogged up with oil that seeped past the compressor rings. I just bought another today and it was on sale for $9. You do need to replace the plastic tubing that runs up to the pressure switch with metal but otherwise it works. Every time the compressor shuts off the drain opens for a moment. I hook mine to a hose that leads outside the shop as I don't care to have the water on the floor.
Greg Lewis, Prop.
Eyeball Engineering — Home of the dull toolbit.
Our motto: "That looks about right."
Celebrating 35 years of turning perfectly good metal into bits of useless scrap.